Returning Horse on Lease to Own Contract HELP

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by woman_in_shoe, Feb 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. woman_in_shoe

woman_in_shoe Senior Member

If a horse is being purchased on a lease to own contract can the buyer return the horse to the seller and forfeit the money already paid if the horse has serious conformation issues that were not disclosed by seller?
    Also at what point in contract would the horse be considered sold? Upon leaving the seller's farm or at time horse is paid in full?

2. woman_in_shoe

I should add that seller misrepresented the horse as being fit enough to learn to drive and pull a cart, and show quality.

3. Samarama

Samarama Senior Member

I guess my question is .... how did you not see these "serious conformation issues" when you looked at the horse or before payments started??

6 people like this.
  4. woman_in_shoe

He came from out of state and the photis i received of him did not show the flaws. One was a show photo and was taken after he won his class. Being a mini his legs and body are so fluffy and he is so low to the ground that we didn't notice right away. Even the vet didn't notice it.

5. HayleyS

HayleyS Senior Member

What kind of flaws are you talking of? And if he had been shown I would have thought he would have been clipped or in his summer coat? Just curious here :)

2 people like this.
  6. woman_in_shoe

received_10205628946547530.jpeg OK, I'm not good at posting photos but here is the show photo I received of him. Gorgeous horse, nice straight legs etc.

7. woman_in_shoe

IMG_20150206_110824813.jpg I forgot to mention that the previous photo was taken when he was two.
    This photo was taken yesterday at age 8. I hosed down his front so that his chest and legs could be seen under all that hair.

8. woman_in_shoe

IMG_20150206_111427862.jpg A better photo of his narrow chest.

9. woman_in_shoe

stal_toy4.jpg IMG_20150206_111700143.jpg
    First photo is his dad, second is his nephew (my other mini, also with hosed down chest) See how different their legs are and how wide the space between the legs?

10. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

Since you are willing to let them keep the money you have paid so far as just a bad investment I would think you would be able to give him back. What does the contract say if you decide not to continue the contract? I would think he wouldn't be considered sold until you paid for the whole lease.

Those are some weird legs. I can see why you couldn't see them in a side shot.

6 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.