Respecting Your Personal Space

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by JVGoss, Jan 25, 2019.

?

How can I get my girl to stay out of my space when I lead her?

1. training tips

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Training advice

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

Good post. Yes, the timing is important, as is consistency. Don't let her get in your space without consequences one time and push her out another. Be consistent.

Rhythm 'n Blues and Dream27 like this.
  2. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Just watch some Clinton Anderson videos on that subject.
    You teach it step by step. The short answer is to hold your arm out, keep it extended between you and the horse and push him away with your thumb.

That only solves the leading issue and has to be used every time you lead the horse. After a while, they get the message, but that won't “teach“ them where YOUR personal space is any other time but when leading.

3. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Best advice..go to YouTube and watch a trainer called Warwick Schiller, he's very good, easy to understand and free. You can access a lot on the level of space and manners.

Much easier as you can see as well as listen, body language is important also in this.

Chicachica and Blue-Roan like this.
  4. Alsosusieq2

You like him? Hmm. Personal dislike on my end, have only watched a few. Can't stand him.

mooselady likes this.
  5. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

I didn't say I liked him. There's nothing that I see wrong with his videos that teach how to train a horse to stay out of your personal space. His videos, on this subject, are widely available and useful.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  6. Alsosusieq2

Good point on that. I saw a real pizzy thing with him many years ago and how his arrogance came through, kind of made it hard to watch him after that, so I've no frame of reference.

7. GotaDunQH

GotaDunQH Senior Member

The only time I let a horse come into my space, is when we are working as a TEAM in Showmanship. In Showmanship you have to work in very close proximity of each other, but the training involved is concentrated on this, body language, and use of the chain lead. The horse learns to respect this close space, as opposed to a horse that is pushy and disrespects space on his own.