Rescued baby

Discussion in 'Horse Rescue / Adoption' started by mpbmorganev, Mar 28, 2017.

1. slc

slc Senior Member

Actually you don't want her fat either. Too much weight on those joints would not be good either. A slim healthy weight is best. Keeping up with growth and not looking ribby is good.

2. mpbmorganev

mpbmorganev Full Member

I've been slowly increasing her grain. That is why the amount is so low. 6 flakes is pretty much free choice. She leaves a lot behind and mixes it around in her stall, but won't eat out of a hay rack. She has an in/out stall to herself with neighbors but no pasture mates.

I've been working with my vet to bring her back. I'm going to have our chiropractor work on her in April to give me his thoughts. It seems like one of her back hips/legs makes a popping sound but I can't lay my finger on it. She isn't favoring it and still runs around when I let her into the bigger paddock, so I'm hoping it's just from having weak muscles.

These pictures were taken yesterday. Weight wise, how does she look?

noel4.jpg noel3.jpg noel2.jpg

3. slc

slc Senior Member

She's got a lot of coat on her but even with all that, looks like she has very little muscle on her. I'm guessing if she was clipped she'd look pretty skinny.

She also looks like she either is pregnant or has a belly full of worms or maybe she's getting way too much hay and that accounts for the pot belly.

4. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

She looks better than she did, it will take some time to build the muscle that was consumed by her own body in order for her major orphans to survive. It may take a year.

VermilionStrife and CoffeeBean like this.