Rescued baby

Discussion in 'Horse Rescue / Adoption' started by mpbmorganev, Mar 28, 2017.

1. mpbmorganev

mpbmorganev Full Member

I've had Noel for two months now and she's made huge improvements!
    Her story is long, and you can read it here: playponies.org
    But look at her progress!

She's approx a year and a half according to the vet and dentist.

She gets 6 flakes of hay per day, two grain feelings, each one lb Poulin Mare and Foal, One lb alfalfa pellets, and one feeding with one lb Purina amplify, probiotics, and red cell.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to get the last few pounds on her? Her weight gain has slowed down, but she could use a bit more.

Jan 31
    image.jpg

Feb 5
    image.jpg

Feb 14
    image.jpg

Feb 19
    image.jpeg

Mar 28
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
    Bebe likes this.
  2. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Just gooo slow. That's imperative in getting horses back in condition. You are doing good, just relax and slow down.

Post her age here, stats etc. Feed brand, type, weight of the grain amount, hay type etc. We'll do the level best we can, some of the members are experts at this.

mooselady likes this.
  3. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

I remember this filly, glad you are updating about her. Did you ever take legal action against the quarantine person?
    I am fond of what I am feeding my baby, Ultium Growth. Does the six flakes of hay work out to free choice hay for her? That would def be the place to start. Also, the 2lbs a day seems like not very much for a grain, but I don't really know enough about it.... Hey @Kristal H , you know a lot about feeding youngsters!

4. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

2 pounds of grain is PLENTY for a horse coming back from total Emancipation~!!

Looking good. Don't over feed her, because you do not want her growing fast as that is what causes tendon, joint and bone issues in young horses.

Varisha, Alsosusieq2 and mooselady like this.
  5. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

Why would you WANT to come back from emancipation? Isn't that what we strive for? :ROFLMAO:

Sam C., ginster, CJ and 1 other person like this.
  6. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

In all serious, I guess I was more wondering is if 2lbs is enough of that particular grain. One of the things I always see people remarking upon is not to feed below the minimum feeding requirements of a particular feed in order to keep the minerals and such in the correct proportions for a balanced diet. But again, I only know what I have been told so I defer to those accustomed to feeding babies.

7. bobo and horses

bobo and horses Senior Member

Spell check probably strikes again!

8. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

Hi,

Thank you for taking in this poor baby girl. I'm a bit worried that her joints looked to be affected when you go her from the malnutrition. I world start her on a joint supplement with at least 5000 of MSM, I love the Recovery EQ HA it is a bit expensive...Corta flx makes one that is good for less money.

I would take this foal off the growth formula and put her on Triple Crown Senior. This is because the TC senior has a lower NSC and while you want her to get fat and good nutrition you also need to control the carbs as she looks like she has had Epiphysitis in multiple joints. If fed and managed correctly she can overcome this.

The other thing that needs to be managed until the she is over the Epiphysitis, and is sound with smooth joints after the bone remodels, is her exercise. Walking is very good for her and she needs a pen big enough to do plenty of walking. You do not want to put her in a big pasture with other horses where she would be running and playing hard or even walking to follow if her joint is a little sore, to much exercise will cause her pain and then contract the tendons which causes clubbed feet, she is also at high risk for bits of bone to break off in the joint.

Good luck with her

9. CJ

CJ Senior Member

She may see-saw between gaining height & weight while growing. Get the opinion of a good vet or someone familiar with bringing up or back a neglected youngster if possible. As mentioned, watch the calcium phosphorous ratio, that its sufficient but not out of balance, so you dont trip tendon/ joint growth issues. But with Proper nutrition, at her age I think she still has a very good chance of growing up right and having good legs. Use the best farrier you can get a hold of, someone capable of trimming & shoeing therapeutically imo.
    Our barn has a 2 yr old TB in it that has neglect, growth & leg issues, and is making good progress toward being sound & usable, ultimately. She had trainwreck legs and could barely turn, threatening to fall over, when she arrived. She is in corrective front shoes currently, but literally making great strides, and doing much better, after 5-6 months, of close attention and good food. She has grown several inches, to 16h+, as well.
    I hope yours pans out as well..

manesntails likes this.
  10. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

You don't want to rush it at all. It sets them up for physical problems. Seriously.

Know you meant emaciation, autocorrect problems.

manesntails likes this.