1. JOIN the world's largest horse forum! Chat and learn from other experts about horse training, breeding, health, showing, riding, contests and use our free horse classifieds. Register Here

rescue with severe parrot mouth

Discussion in 'Horse Rescue / Adoption' started by christyml, Feb 10, 2012.

1. christyml

christyml Senior Member

I just took in a 7 month old pony filly that is a rescue. she weights only 100 pounds. she is severely parrot mouthed and the people who had here refused to try and feed her soft /wet her food. her feet are in horrible condition and she can barely stand . I am feeding her very small amounts of wet food at a time and soaking a little beet pulp for her too. Also I am giving her a couple alfalfa cubes at a time too soaked as well. she seems to have a little more interest in standing and eating now as this is day 4 of her being here . Any advice or suggestions on this? has anyone ever dealt with this before? The vet is coming out on wednesday to give her a work up. Advice is appreciated

2. FancyASB

FancyASB Senior Member+

3. APHA05

APHA05 Senior Member

I'd have an equine dentist look at her, and see if he/she could do anything to help. I have very limited knowledge when it comes to this, so not much else advice I could give ya /:

4. NewHorseMummy

NewHorseMummy Registered

I have a rescued mare too who has severe parrot mouth. I hard feed her twice a day. Breeda multivite pellets. (About two cups each feed) mixed with lucine charf (about the same measurement) mixed with about a tablespoon of molasses and two cups of water. I also give her a biscuit of lucine hay twice a day. She is thriving on that.
    She is really possessive of her food though so I have to separate her from the other horse.

Attached Files:

5. rhinebeck

rhinebeck Senior Member

You would have best luck starting your own thread as this one is over 4 years old. I don't think the OP has returned since posting this