rescue with severe parrot mouth

Discussion in 'Horse Rescue / Adoption' started by christyml, Feb 10, 2012.

1. christyml

christyml Senior Member

I just took in a 7 month old pony filly that is a rescue. she weights only 100 pounds. she is severely parrot mouthed and the people who had here refused to try and feed her soft /wet her food. her feet are in horrible condition and she can barely stand . I am feeding her very small amounts of wet food at a time and soaking a little beet pulp for her too. Also I am giving her a couple alfalfa cubes at a time too soaked as well. she seems to have a little more interest in standing and eating now as this is day 4 of her being here . Any advice or suggestions on this? has anyone ever dealt with this before? The vet is coming out on wednesday to give her a work up. Advice is appreciated

2. FancyASB

FancyASB Senior Member+

3. APHA05

APHA05 Senior Member

I'd have an equine dentist look at her, and see if he/she could do anything to help. I have very limited knowledge when it comes to this, so not much else advice I could give ya /:

4. NewHorseMummy

NewHorseMummy Registered

I have a rescued mare too who has severe parrot mouth. I hard feed her twice a day. Breeda multivite pellets. (About two cups each feed) mixed with lucine charf (about the same measurement) mixed with about a tablespoon of molasses and two cups of water. I also give her a biscuit of lucine hay twice a day. She is thriving on that.
    She is really possessive of her food though so I have to separate her from the other horse.

Attached Files:

5. rhinebeck

rhinebeck Senior Member

You would have best luck starting your own thread as this one is over 4 years old. I don't think the OP has returned since posting this