Rescue needed for 2 horses, NE Ohio

Discussion in 'Horse Rescue / Adoption' started by VAndy, Oct 9, 2016.

1. VAndy

VAndy Registered

Hi. I'm new to this forum. I have 2 mares that I need to place. I've had them both for a few years but my financial circumstances have changed - and not for the better and they're going to change even more when I retire in the not-too-distant future. They were brought from Sugarcreek auction by someone else and I took them in. One is a haflinger. The other is a haflinger cross. The haffy is easily handled. The cross is hand shy. They'll both come running to the fence for a treat and both take it gently from my hand, but when I try to touch the cross, she will move away. Never anything mean. Just avoidance. Right now, I'm having a hard time to afford to feed them. Vetting them is financially out of the question. Fortunately, they've both been healthy and have always maintained a good weight on hay alone. They deserve better than what I can give them right now. I'd like to see them situated in a caring environment before winter. If anyone can please somehow help me, I would really appreciate it. Thank you.

MERRYLEGS.jpg Sass.jpg Merry and Sass.JPG

2. ColorMyWorld

ColorMyWorld Senior Member

I would be interested in more info on the full Haflinger but could not do both. Age? Any training history?

3. VAndy

VAndy Registered

She's about 15 yrs old. I haven't done anything with her, but at the time she went to auction, she worked in harness and I was told that she could be ridden. She'd need to be worked with, but she has nice manners when it comes to having her feet done, if that's any help.

4. slc

slc Senior Member

I can't really see the grey one clearly so can't comment on her, but the Halflinger cross is really a lovely horse. She's got a really lovely color, a beautiful head, nice shoulder angle, super good feet, very nice short cannon bones, and a very strong loin and hind quarter.

That mare could make someone very happy. 15 is just getting started for such a horse.

5. VAndy

VAndy Registered

Thank you. I really am fond of both of them, but especially the haffy girl. They deserve better than what I can give them right now. Haffy girl is the soul of good nature.

6. hamerface

hamerface Senior Member

Bump
    Hopefully someone close than me sees this and can help

7. slc

slc Senior Member

Bump for a couple lovely horses.

8. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

Can I share this on Facebook?

9. VAndy

VAndy Registered

I wouldn't mind if you shared it on FB. I do have 2 people interested so far, but until the girls are actually in their new home, then I welcome all the interest I can get. Thank you.

10. SkyeTiger

SkyeTiger Senior Member

Where are you located?