Rescue in CA ousted by Hi Caliber Rescue!

Discussion in 'Horse Rescue / Adoption' started by glideride, Oct 10, 2014.

1. glideride

glideride Senior Member

I won't go into details as to why I like HiCaliber, but I do and have done a lot of research....They are absolutely about transparency and accountability. So much so that they have just "ousted" another rescue in CA for starving horses.

Fancy, wondering if you have ever heard anything about Everything Equine:

http://www.everythingequine2012.org/

Seems like there has been a lot going on including plenty of investigation. Hi Caliber posted this on FB, it tells an awful lot and sadly I think we can only expect to see more and more exposed! Kudos to Michele and her volunteers for getting word out!

https://www.facebook.com/HiCaliberHorseRescue

2. meljean

meljean Senior Member

Just amazes me how people will do things like this. A money maker for sure.

3. FancyASB

FancyASB Senior Member+

I have heard of them, they are in So CA. My friend lives in Norco and has never had anything good to say about them. She visited them trying to find a driving pony to adopt and didn't like what she saw. I know she contacted AC and that was a couple of years ago. I can't read the FB page since I don't do FB. I'll ask another friend that has a small rescue what she knows...

4. glideride

glideride Senior Member

Here is what they had posted:

HiCaliber Horse Rescue

8 hours ago · Edited

Blood money in the horse world?

We don’t like to see any form of neglect upon horses, but when a business or rescue takes money or makes money off of their animals – those animals **** well better be taken care of.

HiCaliber Horse Rescue takes great pride in assisting people who seek timely help when they get in over their heads. We use discretion, privacy and build bridges of trust where we can. But make no mistake – if you are starving your animals and do not accept the help – we will out you.

Today, we would like to bring your attention to Everything Equine , based in Norco, CA run by Jaime Mendenhall. Their online presence boasts of trail riding, lessons, kids parties and…"rescue."

Based upon the firsthand information we received as well as photographs, we are of the opinion that their standards of care should be increased. They are in possesion of several emaciated horses that did not enter their program that way. Their webpage and facebook pages show these horses healthy upon intake and while they were being used in their program. The horses have clearly declined greatly and were moved to a less visible part of the facility.

Previous staff and prior owners of these horses have provided supporting documentation and photos that show the drastic decline.

HiCaliber was contacted along with Animal Control. Several entities including Forgotten Horses Rescue, Inc. attempted to intervene quietly and offer help – initially, help was accepted and plans were in motion to pick up the horses.

Unfortunately, all went quiet over the last 2 days and the horses have since disappeared from the location they were at.

We know some of the horses are in the care of a woman whom we will not name at this time as we are unsure if she offered the horses a safe place to fall or if she is hiding the horses for Everything Equine . Our hope is that the horses are receiving long overdue care but the silence is worrisome.

Nonetheless, we again remind you to DO YOUR RESEARCH. CHECK IN ON HORSES. BE THE EYES AND EARS. BE THEIR VOICE.

I’ve attached the photos of the horses, we know one had to be put down days ago. There is NO EXCUSE FOR THEIR CONDITIONS OR RAPID DECLINE.

When you make a donation to HiCaliber, it goes to our $5000 dollar a month feed bill for the rescue horses. Our $1500/month farrier bill for the rescues. Our $1500/mo vet bill for.the.rescues.

I hope you see that via our page, our adoptions, our updates, our visitors testimonies, our adoption updates and our good standing in the veterinary and animal control world.

Please. Stop blindly supporting entities who fail these animals.

As a responsible rescue, we will continue to expose these cases and those who support these horrific conditions.

Our loyalty, as always, remains with the horses

1 person likes this.
  5. FancyASB

FancyASB Senior Member+

Thank you for posting! Everything Equine sounds like H+ except H+ does nothing to make money except scams. They also hide horses at various "followers" houses. I hope the horses did end up in a better place and glad HiCaliber came forward! Too many rescues keep quiet and don't get involved.

It seems the blog hasn't been updated since December 2013 either.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2014
  6. SoulNSin

SoulNSin Full Member

Hi glideride, since you seem to be familiar with hi caliber horse rescue and think highly of their "transparency and accountability", can you please post their facility location address in valley center? No one seems to have it for some reason. Thanks for any help with this.

7. CoffeeBean

CoffeeBean Senior Member

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2014/dec/25/horse-resuce-hicaliber-valley-center-escondido/

"Hicaliber Horse Rescue Ranch moved to a spot in a valley off Couser Canyon Road in Valley Center from Escondido."

Apparently, they do offer tours.

http://www.hicaliber.org/content.cfm?n=contact

http://oag.ca.gov/charities/charity-research-tool#Location:Summary

HICALIBER HORSE RESCUE INC
    C/O: MICHELLE KNUTTILA
    PO BOX 462273
    ESCONDIDO, CA 92046-2273

[TABLE]
    [TR="bgcolor: #EBEBEB"]
    [TD="align: left"]EIN: [/TD]
    [TD="width: 100%, align: left"] 463960722
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="align: left"] Ruling Date: [/TD]
    [TD="width: 100%, align: left"] 07/2014 [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

http://kepler.sos.ca.gov/
    [TABLE]
    [TR="bgcolor: #E8E4D9"]
    [TD="bgcolor: #8B743D"]Entity Name:[/TD]
    [TD]HICALIBER HORSE RESCUE, INC.[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR="bgcolor: #FFFFFE"]
    [TD="bgcolor: #8B743D"]Entity Number:[/TD]
    [TD]C3611833[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TD="bgcolor: #8B743D"]Date Filed:[/TD]
    [TD]10/16/2013[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TD="bgcolor: #8B743D"]Status:[/TD]
    [TD]ACTIVE[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TD="bgcolor: #8B743D"]Jurisdiction:[/TD]
    [TD]CALIFORNIA[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TD="bgcolor: #8B743D"]Entity Address:[/TD]
    [TD]P.O. BOX 462273[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TD="bgcolor: #8B743D"]Entity City, State, Zip:[/TD]
    [TD]ESCONDIDO CA 92046[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TD="bgcolor: #8B743D"]Agent for Service of Process:[/TD]
    [TD]KONRAD L TROPE[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TD="bgcolor: #8B743D"]Agent Address:[/TD]
    [TD]9107 WILSHIRE BLVD STE. 450[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TD="bgcolor: #8B743D"]Agent City, State, Zip:[/TD]
    [TD]BEVERLY HILLS CA 90210[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

http://apps.irs.gov/app/eos/ePostSe...patchMethod=searchEpostcard&submitName=Search

8. CoffeeBean

CoffeeBean Senior Member

I would try 33244 Couser Canyon Road, for starters.

9. CoffeeBean

CoffeeBean Senior Member

Or try the intersection of Couser Canyon Road and Palo Loma Drive; maybe Via Patricio

1 person likes this.
  10. CoffeeBean

CoffeeBean Senior Member

1 person likes this.