Renting Barn and Pasture

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Arem, Aug 6, 2018.

1. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

Ive read the whole thread, and just have one thing I didn’t see answered. Arem, is there a ring/place for you to back/start said Jr that you’re planning to get? Even if you sent him out for training (I feel you’d rather do it yourself, but just covering all bases here) you’d probably want some kind of ring to start off with upon return or if you’re unable to ride for a week or month or winter or whatever?? Not sure, just throwing this out there.

For costs - yes very largely area dependent, but without a pasture (grazing) a real ring, an indoor - honestly I would look to rent the whole place for a flat rate & if you are doing all the work & supplying everything no more than $100/month. Honestly, while adequate it does sound to lack anything required to house any kind of riding horse. Sounds like it’s a barn & a little pasture, ideally set up for “field ordament” horses.

If you can make it work fantastic! But don’t forget the small stuff like rodent control and securing your tack.

Keep us posted!

Arem and NaeNae like this.
  2. Arem

Arem Senior Member

Area to ride is one of my main concerns. The next time we discuss it, I plan on finding out exactly how much extra area they have. I think, while it will be small, I’ll have just enough room to ride. Plus riding around on the quiet little semi private roads.

Ideal? No. Workable? Potentially. Especially if I can trailer out on occasion.

But, yeah. Riding is the main concern I have with the place and could be what makes or breaks it.

Rhythm 'n Blues likes this.
  3. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

Eh, I grew up w/o an arena or roundpen and I had 0 issues starting and training horses. It can be done. It's really not a big deal. I ride in the pasture A LOT.

It's NICE to have an arena, or an indoor, but it's not a necessity, imo.

4. NaeNae

NaeNae Senior Member

Yeah and while some people it may be necessary for, I think Arem has dealt without before. So I guess if the space that she has works for her riding, then that wouldn't be an issue.

Arem likes this.
  5. ChestersMomma

ChestersMomma Senior Moderator Staff Member

I can't remember if you are in a state with snow but are they willing/capable of breaking ice on water buckets/troughs?

I think the one thing I would recommend in the contract is a section outlining what happens if one of you breaks the lease. How many months notice are you or they required to give? If you leave, make sure they cannot bill you for costs like fixing a fence because they thought you'd be there another 6 months. Also, make sure that if you are buying troughs, bale feeders, or other big purchases that there is a clause stating they are yours when you go unless the couple buys them from you. Possession is 9/10 of the law so, if you had to leave in a hurry, you'd need the contract to detail what is yours and what is theirs.

I would also put in there that horses cause a baseline amount of damage (broken fence boards, mucked up grass, etc) and that they cannot sue you for those damages to their property.

They will get this squared away with their insurance, too, (if they are smart) and do you split the cost of the raised rate or is that on them?

equinitis, doublelranch and Arem like this.
  6. Arem

Arem Senior Member

Thank you for this helpful post. (y) These are definitely all things I need to think about/ discuss with the couple.

Yes, they are more than capable of break ice on water troughs and most likely willing. Most people around here do trough heaters, I’d likely do the same. Pitching in a little extra towards the electric might be a good idea, though. Barn I’m at now charges a little extra to cover the electric, although the previous one did not.

ChestersMomma likes this.
  7. Bakkir

Bakkir Senior Member

There was a post on my FB about a similar situation. But from the barn owners perspective.

The consensus was $200 per horse/month. BO provides for fencing, water and hydro. Horse owner provides feed and hay and does all the clean up.

Or $250 per horse/month and BO provides hay.

I had Bakkir on DIY board. It was $250 / month and included hay and a stall. I paid for everything else and did my own clean up. It was a rough place and I was only there because my horse needed to grow up. It was 5 mins from my house, so I was there at least 2 times per day.

I would just be very honest going in and respectful of it not being your own property.

8. Arem

Arem Senior Member

Locally, you can find full care, everything included, pasture board (with or without arenas. Most at least have trails and large feilds to ride in or an outdoor) for $250.

That’s what I paid at the old place, and I would have stayed but I was tired of crawling over mowers and pressure cookers and what not to get to my tack and getting blamed for the BO’s kid leaving stuff out/undone. :rolleyes:

Current barn charges that for full pasture board, too. With arena, 100 acres of property (if only they fenced it and used it to its potential!) and trails.

I don’t see how respect for the property would be any different than boarding. That’s not my property either, and I certainly behave respectfully as such.

NaeNae likes this.
  9. Bakkir

Bakkir Senior Member

My area is higher. Basic outdoor board starts at $300. The cheapest indoor board is $450. Most are now $550 to 700.

Respect is a two way street. Many of the FB comments were telling the BO that this type of deal is not worth the aggravation. And always costs more than the horse owner is willing to pay.

One person said hydro alone cost her $240 per month. She was losing money every month by only charging $200.

The outdoor board where I have Charm starts ar $300. Nice facilities with hay included. But no stall for bad weather.

10. doublelranch

doublelranch Senior Member

Another thing is liability insurance in case the horses get out and into the road.

ChestersMomma likes this.