Removing Gall Bladder

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by lucky_pine, Jan 11, 2019.

1. lucky_pine

lucky_pine Senior Member

I've been having a lot of issues with severe pain after eating along with lower back pain and chest pain. I go the 26th for an ultrasound for stones and if that's fine, then there's one other test I have to do. Doctor said more than likely it is my gall bladder and I'll need surgery.

Has anyone here had theirs removed? What do I need to be prepared for as far as recovery and pain?

2. slc

slc Senior Member

Mine didn't have to come out.

But the doc told me that they usually do gall bladder surgery without a big incision(laparoscopically) and the recovery is very fast. You would usually go home the same day and feel fine in a day or two. There are just 4 very small incisions.

If they have to actually make an open surgery, you might stay at the hospital for a day or two and would be a week or ten days before you go back to work.

Your doc is really the best source of information though.

3. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

I still have all my removable parts, but, my X husband had his out. First did something to try and shatter the stones but it didn't help.

Normally it's not a big operation because they make a small incision and pull it out through there. My husband had to be cut open because, you know men, they wait so long that they are about to die before addressing a health issue and his was so loaded with huge stones, it wouldn't come out a small hole.

After you get it done you heal up pretty fast but you have to take it easy for a while.

4. emali06

emali06 Senior Member

My sister JUST had hers removed, 2 weeks after also having a cesarean. She was up and walking and heading home to care for the kids just an hour or two after surgery. Hers was pretty inflamed and full of stones so they took it out the same day she was first seen. I've had 2 other friends with similar stories but they *****ed and whined for days and weeks afterwards about the pain so I guess it depends lol

manesntails likes this.
  5. waresbear

waresbear Senior Member

My daughter had her gall bladder removed. It was day surgery and she was in a lot of pain for the first day. I would say she was back to normal within 3 days.

manesntails likes this.
  6. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Senior Moderator Staff Member

Mine came out years ago. It was a relatively benign procedure done via laparoscopy. It's still major surgery so one has to be really careful to follow the recovery instructions to the letter....it's going to affect your ability to work, especially given what you do for a living, but the laparoscopy does make that recovery easier since there's less damage "getting to" the actual point of interest. And don't be fooled if you "feel back to normal in a few days". There is still a lot of healing to be done internally and ignoring that can cause major complications.

7. lucky_pine

lucky_pine Senior Member

I'm very lucky to be at the job site I'm at now. We just do overhead crane inspections (like bridge cranes and chainfalls) at a 3m plant. No heavy lifting, nothing terribly strenuous, but there is a lot of walking. I'm hoping I will be able to return to work within a few days. She told me to expect an overnight stay at the hospital and out of work for 7 days. Everything I research says either a few days or an entire week. Assuming it's all case by case.

I've been living with and ignoring this pain for months on end. My husband came with me to a doctors appointment today, an entirely different reason for going, and brought it up. So my relatively simple doctors appointed turned in to making ultrasound appointments and researching surgery. Who actually knows how bad it's going to be. I haven't been able to eat more than a couple bites, and I can't handle anything touching my stomach, so I'm guessing it isn't great.

manesntails likes this.
  8. peg4x4

peg4x4 Senior Member

Son had his removed and was up and going in 2 days.. Slowly and no lifting for the first week

9. lucky_pine

lucky_pine Senior Member

That sounds fantastic! I'll keep my fingers crossed!

10. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Senior Moderator Staff Member

Just "be prepared" to be not able to work productively for at least that week and you'll be fine. If you feel able sooner, great. The walking shouldn't be too strenuous after a few days, but again, this is major surgery on the inside and it can be deceiving because you don't have the external discomfort that old-school "slash 'em wide open" procedures gifted. ;) A real twinge from internal pain can be eye-opening...trust me on that.

DocsLglyBlonde and manesntails like this.