Removing dog vomit smell from carpet... HELP

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by idlewild, Aug 22, 2011.

1. idlewild

idlewild Senior Member+

Ok, so about 4 days ago one of our dogs vomited in the middle of the night in our bedroom (she sleeps on her bed by our door). We never heard it, so it had at least 2 hours (prob more like 4 hours) to soak into the carpet, it was a very watery vomit, not a lot of food. I attacked it with carpet cleaning foam (the pet kind that "kills odors and stains!" ) and this purple power all over cleaner stuff... I was only able to get about 75% of it out. There was still a stain and a smell.

We called a friend of ours who runs a carpet cleaning business and asked him to come shampoo the carpets, unfortunately he wasn't able to make it out until today. He soaked that spot and from what I heard, worked it pretty good. The stain it gone... however IT STINKS!!!!! :eek2::eek2:

It just reeks, it's this horrible, awful SOUR dog **** smell. *GAGS*

The spot is damp from shampooing and the smell has just permeated every inch of our bedroom. Dear hubby sleeps with a CPAP machine so he doesn't have to deal with it... but me, I cannot stand it!! I'm hoping once it dries it'll diminish to liveable levels.

But, in the case it doesn't.... any ideas, tips, tricks for getting the smell OUT? I'd attack it with bleach but for fear that it would permanently discolor the carpet :no:

HELP!!!!
    :help!:

2. emali06

emali06 Senior Member

club soda? lol thats really all I can think of besides what you have already tried :eek:

3. Heavenly Jumper

Heavenly Jumper Senior Moderator Staff Member

If you can get your hands on some 'zero odor' it will kill it. Dead. :)

[​IMG]

4. draftlover

draftlover Senior Member+

No help here, but DO NOT use bleach. It will make a permanent mark on your carpet.

5. idlewild

idlewild Senior Member+

Oooo!!!! What kind of stores carry that? Do you know? If not, I will order it with an overnight rush shipping if I have to. I'm desperate!

ETA: it seems that our local Petsmart carries it.... that is my first stop after work tomorrow!!!

6. draftlover

I just searched my cabinets and found this stuff:

It's called SMELLS BEGONE. The label says "stockyard strength deodorizer spray.
    Eliminates odors instantly, even bad ones from pets, stogies, toilets, livestock, athletic gear, bilges humidifiers, etc.
    Non toxic, non staining, nonallergenic

7. mftowner06

mftowner06 Senior Member

What about vinegar and water....

8. idlewild

idlewild Senior Member+

9. draftlover

Good luck. I hope you get some sleep. Nite nite.

10. idlewild

idlewild Senior Member+

Heh, thanks...

I just walked in there again. It's just the most god awful smell ever.... vomit is bad enough, SOURED vomit....