Remedies for Chronic Thrush that really work!

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by Omayra, Jan 2, 2019.

1. Omayra

Omayra Full Member

Thank you

2. slc

slc Senior Member

Gentian Violet is a dye-like substance that has activity against some types of fungi, some types of bacteria and some other organisms I forget.

It's been used in horse thrush remedies for several hundred years. In fact when I was very young there were lots of very colorful bottles of old nostrums and remedies that we used on horses. Some of them were useless, and some of them have been studied and experimented with recently and found to actually be effective. As more organisms become drug resistant, researchers look for more new medications. Or new-again medications, lol.

3. emali06

emali06 Senior Member

Dry Cow ToMorrow. Can't get it OTC in my lame state anymore but I stocked up before the law changed.

4. zomer

zomer Senior Member

I think soaking is a good thing because it really gets into the hoof and gets is sparkly clean. I typically put some schreiners herbal solution in the soak. Once clean I put a bit more herbal on it and keep repeating. I use other things as well but like you, have not found any of the commercial thrush busters to be effective.

5. turnnburnlynx

turnnburnlynx Senior Member

This is what we di at the clinic I work at:
    Pick hooves clean, using a small brush and some soapy water (I use a chlorohex solution) scrub the whole hoof. Keep hoof elevated (to allow for breathability) and in direct sunlight 3 to 5 mins per hoof. Dry with a towel, and apply a 10% bleach solution to each hoof.

We normally will use a different solution than the bleach solution, but it works well. (We normally start with a medicated paste)

6. Omayra

Omayra Full Member

Ok so I had another vet come out and say it was thrush once again, I don’t think is thrush because even though a lot of the areas that were soft and spongy have hardened with the tomorrow cow mastitis there is one area on his hind left hoof that bleeds easily when I apply the syringe like tube in there, just a slight touch it bleeds. This has me so stressed out. My farrier is willing to trim him which he is suppose to come back out on January 30th, 5 weeks after his last trim. But I can’t understand why vets keeps saying this, just as you said I read an article that says with thrush you lose tissue, with canker it grows. He does have loss of tissue in his hind left frog and that is where it bleeds from. The left side of the frog. I don’t know what else to do. I bought 3 soaker boots and clean trax. I will be trying that as soon as I receive the last 2 boots. I can’t understand why he is getting thrush his brother has nothing. They are on turnout 24/7 and have 3 1/2 acres to roam, they have their run in which is 16 x 32 and they do not stay in there unless is to eat cause I feed them in there.

7. slc

slc Senior Member

Ok so I had another vet come out and say it was thrush once again, I don’t think is thrush because even though a lot of the areas that were soft and spongy have hardened with the tomorrow cow mastitis there is one area on his hind left hoof that bleeds easily when I apply the syringe like tube in there, just a slight touch it bleeds.

Hm. I have seen thrush bleed easily. In moving about in the pasture he might put a lot of pressure on that thrushy tissue so it might bleed quite easily.

It would be nice if you could post photos. As I noted, canker has a very odd look to it, it's light in color, usually, and it's 'tissue added' rather than 'tissue taken away.' It almost looks cottage cheesy, as I noted.

You're describing tissue taken away. And since a vet looked at it and said it was thrush, that's a good sign it's thrush. Most of the vets I have worked with over the last, oh 50 years, have seen thousands and thousands of cases of thrush over the years and could identify it with their eyes closed!

This has me so stressed out.

I know how that is! But hang in there, you are going to get to the bottom of this.

My farrier is willing to trim him which he is suppose to come back out on January 30th, 5 weeks after his last trim.

I'm puzzled as to why the farrier said he didn't want to trim it before. I'm guessing that he just pressed on some of that tissue that bleeds real easily and wanted to leave it alone for a while. That makes sense.

But I can’t understand why vets keeps saying this, just as you said I read an article that says with thrush you lose tissue, with canker it grows. He does have loss of tissue in his hind left frog and that is where it bleeds from.

I'm not following you. Vets keep saying what. I'm usually a couple beers behind everyone else but as I recall your vet said it's thrush, your farrier said it's thrush, and another vet said it's thrush. I'ma gonna guess it's thrush!

The left side of the frog. I don’t know what else to do. I bought 3 soaker boots and clean trax.

I'm sure people here told you to soak it but I have never, ever done that and the folks I worked for would NEVER let me soak a thrush. That bacteria that makes thrush, it LOVES damp spots with no air. That's what 'anaerobic' means. Thrives in damp, dark places. I would not soak it, and honest to gosh, no one ever let me soak a bleeding raw thrush in anything other than antibiotic!

I will be trying that as soon as I receive the last 2 boots.

I also don't put boots on it. And honest to gosh, I think you're going to have to confine this horse while it heals. It's so tender it's bleeding if you just barely touch it, he needs to be put up for a couple weeks so it can heel. Put up on dry, dry bedding with that antibiotic on it twice a day.

I can’t understand why he is getting thrush his brother has nothing.

His feet may be somewhat of a different shape from his brother's. But in fact, brothers are not always so much alike in what they can be prone to as far as ailments.

They are on turnout 24/7 and have 3 1/2 acres to roam, they have their run in which is 16 x 32 and they do not stay in there unless is to eat cause I feed them in there.

I'd put them in a clean dry place for a couple weeks. I really don't think the bad spot is going to get a chance to heal unless you do.

8. Omayra

Omayra Full Member

I am going to keep him in dry lot with his brother otherwise he will not stay put.

9. ginster

ginster Senior Member

Can you post pictures of his hooves, especially the one that bleeds @Omayra ?

10. Omayra

Omayra Full Member

I will take some pictures today. Thank you.

ginster likes this.