Remedies for Chronic Thrush that really work!

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by Omayra, Jan 2, 2019.

1. slc

slc Senior Member

It's not being 'broadened to include bacteria as well' at all.

And there are hundreds of different studies like this. The same results are found over and over.

And you also have to ask yourself if it's NOT bacterial why are these antibiotics working against it? Every single case of bad equine thrush, for decades more than you have been alive, vets have been having us treat them with antibiotics.

Vets have been having us put antibiotic products on equine thrush for a very long time now. Why? Because it works. And if a broader spectrum antibiotic doesn't knock it out they switch to one more specific to that bacteria.

2. CarlisleChipper

CarlisleChipper Senior Member+

I've only found the one study to say that the causative agent is this bacteria. Just because many articles cite it over and over doesn't equate to having hundreds of different studies saying this is the microbe. Thrush has been historically considered a candida infection, fungal elements.

3. slc

slc Senior Member

You're taking the disease 'thrush' in the human mouth, and assuming it's the same as 'thrush' in horses!! It isn't. Thrush in the human mouth is a fungal infection.

In the equine hoof, it's not. And in fact in the equine hoof it looks absolutely typical of a lot of other gram negative infections.

In the 'good old days', the word 'thrush' was applied to almost any annoying infection. That's just how things were. Horses also had diseases called 'surfeit' and 'lampas,' LOL. Come on. I have vet books as old as 168 years. There are lots of mistakes in them.

What did vet after vet after vet prescribe for equine thrush for decades? Metronidazole. Antibiotic(and antiprotozoal). It's been in use for more than 60 years.

4. CarlisleChipper

OKAAAAYYYY It's not that serious.

5. slc

slc Senior Member

That's what they all say after clinging to some widely believed 'nonfact' for a half dozen posts.

6. CarlisleChipper

Sorry if a discussion/small debate is really that unsettling for you. I'll be the first one to say science doesn't care about your beliefs, so excuse me for the mild head cannon that was to learn that bit. At least it's a half dozen posts and not a half dozen years!

7. Omayra

Omayra Full Member

If you don’t mind me asking what is gentian violet?

8. Omayra

Omayra Full Member

Never mind I just found out after reading all the post that came after my question and some of the decent answers I had received. But I can say this I tried thrush buster and it didn’t do squat for him and after reading how caustic it is I really don’t care to use it ever again. I think that a lot of the things people use such as bleach and thrush buster might work for some people but being that it kills good bacteria before it actually does anything if in deed if ever does makes no sense to me. I think by doing that it would actually take longer to heal and I don’t want that. So I started a round of Tomorow Dry Cow Mastitis and it seems to be working, I will know for sure when I’m done with the full treatment as he has it on three of his hooves, one really bad the other two not as much. So thank you everyone for your responses.

ginster likes this.
  9. CarlisleChipper

Gentian Violet is the purple stuff in Thrush Buster it is used to treat fungal infections associated with human thrush whether it be oral or thrush associated with breastfeeding, etc.

10. ~tiffy~

~tiffy~ Senior Member

I’ve had great results with the ToMorrow stuff. Good luck!!