Remedies for Chronic Thrush that really work!

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by Omayra, Jan 2, 2019.

1. Omayra

Omayra Full Member

Hi everyone,
    I have a 3 year old shire gelding that has severe thrush. I have been through many farriers and none were able to tell me he had thrush as I didn’t really know how to tell and he has to be sedated when getting his feet done due to breeder not teaching how to pickup feet from foal. Yes I bought from breeder but was told they were trained to do so, to my surprise they were not . Anyway I kept smelling something but his previous farrier kept saying no he didn’t have it, well I have been trying to teach him myself to lift his feet which he lets me pickup just the back and I noticed a strong foul smell and a large crack in middle of frog as it was being eaten away. I called the vet, he came out and I was told he has a severe case of thrush and to use Today until gone. Well my new farrier came out and he couldn’t believe how bad it had gotten so the today did not do anything for him, now he has it on both back feet and right front foot. Farrier told me to try using brown listerine for a week. If it doesn’t work, then to use the vinegar and copper sulphate mixture. I want to know if anyone has any tried and true remedy that has really worked for severe thrush. I have been using the listerine but I won’t know if it’s actually working for a week if I don’t see improvement I want to be ready with next thing. Thanks in advance to anyone who have some tried and true remedies to share. Thanks again.

2. ColorMyWorld

ColorMyWorld Senior Member

When Glory kept getting thrush I used 10 days of Tomorrow, which is for cow mastitis. Comes in syringes. It cleared it up and she has not had thrush since. This was after trying several other things.

It might also be a good idea to make sure your horse is getting a proper trim too.

Edited to add that I just re-read your post and saw you used Today on the horse. Can you post pics of the feet?

3. DocsLglyBlonde

DocsLglyBlonde Senior Member

My old guy gets central sulcus thrush on and off pretty badly. I have to diligently pick his hooves and I just use Thrush Buster when there are signs of it. He had it pretty badly about a month ago because of the disgusting weather we were having, and I ended up booting him for a few days with betadine soaked cotton stuck in his central sulcus and gold Bond medicated powder in the boot to keep the feet dry. I did thrush buster then again when I took the boots off. He always has a very dry place to stand (his stall with clean shavings). I find it's more of a regular maintenance thing that you need to stay on top of, and of course proper trimming needs to be happening to prevent it. I've done Thrush Buster just right in his central sulcus about once a week for the last month and they are finally firm and not deep at all anymore.

4. Omayra

Omayra Full Member

I tried the one the vet said which is the Today one, same thing as the Tomorrow he said I could try either one but no luck. They get a trim every six weeks but we have been doing now every 5 to make sure we get rid of this. What other things did you try if you don’t mind me asking?
    Thanks for your reply. We have tried thrush buster and nothing, we also tried thrush stop. I have to admit the Today seemed to have been working but then nothing. I just ordered clean trax hoof cleaner which is to soak his hoof. I heard some very good things about it so I will see how it works when I get it.

5. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

I had a horse one time with such severe thrush, and yes, I fired the farrier, I was a new to taking care of a horse and have no sense of smell so didn't smell it. I did ask once and was told it his soul shedding. Obviously not. I took him to Colorado State University because he didn't want to take one lead and that just wasn't him. Also fired the vet when he wouldn't come out for the lead issue. A trainer thought he might need chiro work, but the chiro wouldn't work on him without the vet's approval which he wouldn't give. So we took him to CSU. Found he was lame in both front feet from the thrush. They actually dug out all of his frogs and then put silicone on his feet and shoes to keep them on while he regrew his frog back. He was turning four. They thought he could never go barefoot again, but he was able to two years later.

After that I just would do preventative maintenance with Thrush Buster once a month and it never came back.

6. Omayra

Omayra Full Member

Wow I’m glad he’s doing better now. I hope I get to that point soon, I hate to see him like that. His brother is just fine and doesn’t have any thrush whatsoever. They are both the same age and are always together. It hasn’t rained at all here in Orlando so it’s a good thing. They are turned out 24/7 so they don’t stand on anything for long, I pickup manure from pasture on a daily basis and their temporary run in is completely dry. Thank you for your reply

7. Lopinslow

Lopinslow Senior Member

Never had mastitis Medicine NOT clear up even a bad case of thrush

8. Omayra

Omayra Full Member

Well take it from me it didn’t work for my Shire and I applied it everyday for 12 days straight. There’s always a first time for everything.

9. slc

slc Senior Member

Is the pasture or stall or run in shelter very wet all the time? How often does the horse's hooves get trimmed by a farrier?

Getting the horse a dry place to stand usually helps thrush. So does picking out the feet frequently, and exercising the horse on a firm surface.

10. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

It's not so much WHAT you put on, it's more in you clean the hoof TWICE a day and keep it dry and clean.

I used Stop Thrush. It's a clear liquid, non-staining and comes in a tube so you put it exactly where you need it with little waste.