1. JOIN the world's largest horse forum! Chat and learn from other experts about horse training, breeding, health, showing, riding, contests and use our free horse classifieds. Register Here

Relaxing techniques in the saddle

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by *Aftica*, Jun 23, 2010.

1. *Aftica*

*Aftica* Senior Member

Does anyone have any advice to help me relax in the saddle, nothing is wrong with my seat,just im extremely tense and I cant seem to relax. Like for instance instead of holding with my shoulders-i tense up my forearm to hold my horse, and my elbows are not relaxed its like lock jaw. :( I feel so bad im like this. im more relaxed bareback then i am in the tack.

does anyone else have this problem? and how'd you over come it?

2. Simon Says

Simon Says Senior Member+

My trainer told me that the moment I swing my leg over my horse to do nothing but think about me and my horse. I let a lot of outside issues get the best of me and I let that distract me. So the past week the minute I get on I put everything away and just feel my horse......not easy....took me a long time to let life go and ride!

3. gratifite

gratifite Senior Member

I sing ... It forces u to breathe deeply which helps u relax :)

4. getupasb

getupasb Senior Member+

I sing sometimes too...or I have a conversation with somebody. Or I sing a song in my head, if I don't want anybody to hear. :)

5. barrelgirl8899

barrelgirl8899 Senior Member+

When you catch yourself being tense, stop and take a deep breath, close your eyes, and start again.

6. sunrisegurl146

sunrisegurl146 Senior Member

I sing..ALOT lol..usually christmas caroles but lately I've been singing riding solo by Jason Derulo :p

7. Horsecrzylady

Horsecrzylady Full Member

Pat Parelli says when you swing up in the saddle to just sit there, take a deep breath and smile with all four cheeks.

8. *Aftica*

*Aftica* Senior Member

i've done the whole sing-song technique hasnt helped....lmao @ Horseecrzylady's responce. I will try and incorporate these ideas into my riding.