Reins

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by draftmare, Feb 3, 2019.

1. draftmare

draftmare Full Member

I currently have laced reins and I HATE cleaning them because the saddle soap always gets under the laces and I have to go and attack each individual lace with a q-tip to get them clean. I am thinking of swapping to ones with hand stops instead. Looking for something similar to the Schockemoehle Durasoft reins, but without the rubberised inside grip, as that tears up my precious Roekl gloves. Basically need brown and closely spaced hand stops. My mare is super rubber necked so I find knowing for sure that my hands are on the same spot on each rein really helps me with keeping her neck straight. Curious if anybody knows if this exists.

2. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

I would have you in plain leather reins. You have to constantly follow the motion of the head and neck and not set up against the horse or they will start pushing into you to relieve themself of the restraint, and start to get hard mouthed. Less is more.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  3. secuono

secuono Senior Member

If you buy cheap, plain reins, you can use a dye cast and add decorative indents to the inside. There are FB groups for leather working that could tell you how from start to end. It would be less noticeable, too.
    I've been thinking of doing this to mine, but I end up just picking them up by the center with one hand and drawing them through my other hand. Then I know they're equal again.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  4. Shortenmyreins

Shortenmyreins Registered

They are a thing because I own a set, but they are older so I don't know how easy it would be to buy them these days. I have some of the Schockemoehle reins and have had no issues with the rubber and my SSG Digital gloves.

If you can't find the reins that you want, maybe see if you can find a set of plain, smooth reins and take them to a leather repair person and have them add the tabs on for you. Probably wouldn't cost too much.

mooselady and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  5. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member