Reining people! What are your thoughts?

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by PiaffePony0412, Oct 9, 2010.

1. PiaffePony0412

PiaffePony0412 Senior Member

So I'm dying to know, what did you think of Anky's reining rides at WEG??

It looks to me like her reining horse gets the same training as her dressage horses... :rolleyez:

There are more videos on youtube, but here are a couple.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-CAMeQ2Ht8"]YouTube - WEG Reining 2010 Team Competition: Anky van Grunsven; crédito: FB Christiane Morais[/ame]

Her reining freestyle.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iClJgY2DyrI"]YouTube - Anky van Grusven's Reining Freestyle at WEG[/ame]

-Piaffepony0412

2. John

John Senior Member+

I think that she did good. She rode with a slack rein most of the time. The biggest oops that I seen was that she used the first judges stand for her center in the circles and stuff. I would think that the middle one would be where she should have been.

3. nrhareiner

nrhareiner Senior Member+

You can see the cone in front of the judges chair. When the video is being shot on an angle it is hard to tell if they are hitting the center or not.

As to her performance. It was OK. You can tell she does not trust her horse. She is riding on a short rein with very little slack. Her turns she had him tight and b/c of that she was hopping in the front on part of the turns.

Her Freestyle you can see she has no under standing of what reining is. Which is unfortunate.

4. rascalboy

rascalboy Senior Member

I really don't know much about reining, but there were a few oopsies. Her horse looks like it almost broke to a trot just as she turned to do her first stop.
    Then she had the horse backing up like 4 steps before spinning after the first stop. The second looked good, and the third she backed up right away, but she was rather slow, I think.
    Also, her first canter departure had her trotting like 2 steps, which I don't think she was supposed to do, especially since she's a dressage rider who knows how to do straight walk to canter.

5. GNC

GNC Senior Member

You have to remember that Anky is used to BEYOND micromanaging every step of what her horse is doing, from nose to tail. I think she is having a hard time adjusting to Reining, and I agree that (for the reasons I just said) she doesn't trust her horse.

Kudos to her, though, for going out and trying new things.

One other point: The Dutch are particularly hard handed with their animals. Don't flame me, if you haven't lived there then you cannot speak on this. They often train their dogs abusively across entire disciplines (if you are even a remotely positive dog trainer, and you set foot onto a KNPV training field you would be disgusted) and they invented Rollkur, which says it all. As a generalization (recognizing that there are individuals who are kind to their animals in Holland) the Dutch lack empathy and respect for their animals. Since so much of Reining is based on western horsemanship, in which it is heavily ingrained to listen to the horse, it really is like learning a whole new language for Anky.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2010
    roro likes this.
  6. endurgirl

endurgirl Senior Member

Darn Anky! Ever hear of a loose rein? The only time she was off his face was the fast circles. :(

Does she normally show in reining or was this something special for WEG?

7. Arem

Arem Senior Member

It's something she started trying last year or the year before I think.

I, too, noticed that she rode with a very tight rein. (I just saw her in the freestyle when it was on originally). It was noticable against the other riders, but especially notable next to guy who rode bridleless.:p
    This is quite a change for her, I am sure, since she seems very heavy handed in dressage. It's a whole 'nother world for her both in the horses' temperaments and training.
    Perhaps what she stands to learn for reining and reining horses will benefit her as a rider in Dressage? That would be nice.....

8. endurgirl

endurgirl Senior Member

You could tell the horse was getting irritated. He would gape his mouth like saying "Loosen up, woman!! " :p

9. NaeNae

NaeNae Senior Member

I know next to nothing about reining, but it does seem like she hasn't learnt to trust her horse yet, I agree.
    Question, though:
    It doesn't look like, in her spins, that the horse is keeping his 'anchor' leg planted all of the time. Maybe just a trick to my eye, but is he? And that leg IS supposed to be planted, right?

10. NaeNae

NaeNae Senior Member

Just watched the freestyle video and 100% agree with this!