Reindeer skin as a saddle pad

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by Aishi, Sep 21, 2015.

1. Aishi

Aishi Senior Member

Does anyone here use it? I was basically just wondering if it's better to fold it or to cut it into a saddle pad shape.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's folded on the latter picture, I'm not really sure how big the difference would be. Lookwise I think both look cool, but I can imagine it being easier to just cut it?

2. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

That does look cool~!! I think that first picture of it made into a saddle pad is gorgeous~!! The second picture, IDK, looks sloppy.

3. Aishi

Aishi Senior Member

I kinda like the look on the second one, it's folded in under the saddle for some extra cushioning and spine relief. I love the fluffy look but something tells me the solution in the first picture would be easier as an everyday thing to do.

4. Aishi

Aishi Senior Member

[​IMG]

Yeah, guess I'm leaning more towards the first option haha. Love the look.

Fancy That and manesntails like this.
  5. BluemoonOKy

BluemoonOKy Senior Member

Reindeer skin Looks cool.
    Question: In the last picture, what is that bit/ contraption on the horse's nose? D ring bit, but what are those rings?

6. Aishi

Aishi Senior Member

Looks cool and has great benefits to it, I'm definitely swapping my regular pads with reindeer skin once my economy agrees to :p

It's a riding cavesson, same principle as a lunging cavesson, only used for riding. Great for double reining as it gives you a whole new level of contact and control of the horse's spine and skeleton than you would with a bit. It's widely used in classical dressage environments in Europe.

7. DocsLglyBlonde

DocsLglyBlonde Senior Member

I could be way off, but I think I read somewhere that for shock absorption under the saddle (and breathability), sheepskin is second only to (I BELIEVE it was....) reindeer pelt. I'll have to go check to see. Super neat though!!

manesntails likes this.
  8. hamerface

hamerface Senior Member

I was very tempted to buy a few reindeer pelts and make pads out of them, but like you Aishi, my wallet didn't quite agree. You could cut it with a very sharp xacto knife, leather knife etc. You'd want to part the fur before you cut so you didn't cut the actual fur strands in half.

9. Aishi

Aishi Senior Member

Reindeer skin beat sheepskin yeah :) Breathability is also excellent so I'll join the reindeer skin club soon, I guess. Thankfully I work a lot with leather so I know my way around the skin, but I still don't want to cut it.. it's too 'spensive :p

Fancy That, TLFC and DocsLglyBlonde like this.
  10. prairiesongks

prairiesongks Senior Member

Just think of all the fun things you could make after you cut it.

hamerface likes this.