Rehab setback and question

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by SEAmom, Sep 2, 2018.

1. SEAmom

SEAmom Senior Member

This isn't exactly rehab necessarily, but I couldn't think of another way to say it.

So, my horse got the SI injection on Wednesday and on stall rest the rest of the day. Thursday he was allowed to get turnout. Friday I could start working with him at the walk.

Well, Saturday a massive rainstorm popped up where the barn is (before I could get out there) and massively flooded the barn, indoor arena, and the state highway (by a couple of feet, shutting down the road for a while) out front. There's a lot of fencing damage, the aisles are still standing water, the pastures are wet, soggy, and very muddy, and the indoor is out of commission for a while. So, now I'm in a pinch for working with the horse to determine if the injection worked. Horses were turned out during the day today (typically only night turnout during the summer because there's no shade or shelter) so they could work on the barn.

I don't want to risk injury if I try working in one of the smaller paddocks, the indoor is out of the question. There's an outdoor, but it's incredibly hard (like sand cement). Would that be bad for the possible SI issue? What can I do with him in the meantime?

2. slc

slc Senior Member

Can someone rake the outdoor arena? Can you haul the horse to another barn or arena?

For what it's worth a brief ride on a hard surface might not be harmful. It might be enough to determine if the shot helped.

3. SEAmom

SEAmom Senior Member

Right now the driveway has to be repaired before trailers can safely move on it. Parts of it were washed out. Vehicles should be safe to travel on it after this afternoon. Even when they drag the outdoor it's still rock solid but with waves in the surface. Large rocks move to the surface constantly. That's how it's always been. If I can safely get from one side of the property, through the barn, and to the outdoor, I can probably walk him around for a few minutes. Now I'm just paranoid.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  4. slc

slc Senior Member

It sounds like you need a better place to keep your horse.

5. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

Alsosusieq2 and SEAmom like this.
  6. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

“Get the indoor fixed”.........as someone who has dealt with a flooding indoor, there’s little you can do. Sure if there pools of standing water to can dig holes and put a pump in there, but aside from that, you’re kind of at the mercy of Mother Nature to dry things up. Fans can be used, but depends on if they have access to ones large enough & that are safe for farm usage.

I’m sorry you’re going through this. I would just forgo starting your rehab process until the footing is better. Injections don’t expire that quickly, so you’ll still be able to make a determination in a month or 2 if things don’t dry up in a few weeks.

7. slc

slc Senior Member

When my indoor got flooded I kept dragging it. It dried out really fast. I'd just keep dragging it whenever I had a little time. It turns the dirt over and helps the water evaporate.

8. SEAmom

SEAmom Senior Member

Yeah, right now they have the three arena doors open, the barn doors open, a couple of larger fans blowing. It's almost 90°F and sunny today, though not much air is moving and it's pretty humid, but I suppose that's better than nothing. It's just a waiting game for inside. They were able to pump out some of the deeper water, which is good. After everything dries (too bad the mag chloride is now useless...), she'll have someone out to re-evaluate the base and see if the arena needs any work there.

It's just incredibly terrible timing. I was really looking forward to using the holiday weekend (and my lack of busy) to get some quality time in out there. I'm trying to think of some alternatives with what's available and I'm not hugely patient for things like this. Go figure.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  9. SEAmom

SEAmom Senior Member

That's a little further north, but similar event. Not many barns around that area, mostly residential and more developments going in constantly and screwing with the drainage system. Lots of people talking about and posting pictures of flooding they've never seen before. Lots of roads had flood closures. The state highway where the barn is I've never seen flood no matter how much rain has fallen. It was crazy. I feel bad for all the damage people around there incurred yesterday. I just hope it stays dry up there for a while.

LoveTrail and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  10. SEAmom

SEAmom Senior Member

That's quite the leap in logic. I won't be moving my horse because of a very rare weather event. It's just crummy timing.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.