Red the OTTB

Discussion in 'Horse Rescue / Adoption' started by ExtremeMustang, Oct 20, 2017.

1. ExtremeMustang

ExtremeMustang Registered

So you can read any of my previous posts if you want to find out more about my situation, but since i'm looking for a horse, I found an OTTB named Red at a rescue who seems perfect and has a lot of potential. I just want to know if rescue would be an okay way to go. Thanks guys!!!!!:redhorse::rofl::loveflag:

2. Garfield70

Garfield70 Senior Member

First you want a raw Mustang, now an untrained TB.

Honestly, you don't sound like someone who should get either. Both are projects for EXPERIENCED horse people. Which, from what and how you post, you don't sound like.

People who should get those types of horses know how to find out if a rescue organisation or other vendor is good, how to analyze confromation for suitability etc because they have picked up those skills while working with/for a person with the necessary training skill.

So you claim you can retrain an off track TB or a raw mustang? Then don't come to an online forum and ask such basic questions.

And ditch those annoying smilies. It gives off a vibe that you are manic or something.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
  3. 250girl

250girl Senior Member

Generally I avoid anything that involves the word "rescue".
    It's usually a drama show run by less than experienced horse people.

Experienced horse people take in horses, train them to an acceptable/safe level and then sell them. And they don't call it rescuing.
    Inexperienced horse people take in a bunch of horses with issues , do very little about it, and then "adopt" them out. IMO.

An OTTB is a lot easier in every conceivable way than a feral. Like ... walk in the park easier.

4. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

Really:eek2: I:cowgirl: didn’t realize that:idea:

So this :blushing::bawling::applaud::applaud::whistle:(n);):applaud::blushing::charge::charge:;):applaud:;):crazy::running:

Makes me look presidential, I mean manic.

I agree with Garfield, checks to see if the sky is falling in, you do not sound equipped to work with a mustang or an OTTB...

Acornicus and Fire Chik like this.
  5. ExtremeMustang

Well you are just rude. Don't assume that I am inexperienced. I work at a morgan farm breaking and training young horses. I have an older and more experienced trainer to help me. So NEVER talk to me like that again. :D And Red is trained honey :applaud:

6. ExtremeMustang

Lol thanks but I know how to pick out a horse. My question isn't about the horse, but my other horses have been from breeders. I just wanted to know if it was okay to get a horse from a rescue, because I have heard mixed things.

7. ExtremeMustang

Thank you! I guess by rescue horse, I kind of meant a horse from a rescue. He doesn't have issues and is trained.

8. NBChoice

NBChoice Senior Member

I thought you were wanting a horse to train? Now you are looking at a horse that is already broke? What are you planning on doing with this horse?

9. 250girl

250girl Senior Member

That's what I mean. Any place called a "rescue" , run the other direction.

And don't be fooled. Aside from the odd (very odd) exception , horses that are broke and have nothing wrong with them don't end up at rescues.

If you want an ottb get one straight from the track. Lots of FB pages out there helping advertise nice ottbs still at the track.

10. foxtrot

foxtrot Senior Member

Not trying to be mean, but nobody can tell you if it's "okay" to get a horse from a rescue. Besides that, what type of okay do you mean? Legally okay? Morally okay? Good idea okay?

I have seen some rescues which are awesome and many many others that are nightmares, like has already been mentioned. So it's pretty tough to make the claim that it never turns out well to buy from rescue, but it's also impossible to tell you that yes, it's okay, because we don't know if THAT rescue is okay.

Personally, I wouldn't, because I want to own the horse and be able to make the decisions I want for its future. I have no need for a busybody former owner (which is what a rescue is) feeling like they can tell me what to do with a horse I'm dumping money into, or weird contracts that state I don't really own the horse, yada yada. But I'm sure some quality animals go through them... sometimes.