Red mare with orange/brassy tail..... HELP!!

Discussion in 'Horse Grooming' started by Subzerofrogi1, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Subzerofrogi1

Subzerofrogi1 Registered

So my tobiano mare is in the pasture 24/7 and I've been working so very hard to get her high whites, actually white again. In time for a show in about a week and a half. I'm thinking I've done a pretty good job, shes looking pretty good.
    Until I noticed her tail. The top of her tail is white. But the bottom 75% is chestnut/sorrell. And the bottom 50% of THAT is all kinds of this ugly orangeish brassy color.I'm lost on how to fix it!
    So I'm calling out to all my fellow horse people. Anyone know how I can get it out? Any home remedies anyone know of?
    *I've got a small fortune in "brightening/whitening, green spot removers that haven't worked so far*

2. ginster

ginster Senior Member

Can you colour it?

I think I read on here that a supplement (I think copper?) has helped other horses immensely with brightening a red coat, not sure if the effect on the tail is similar..

3. bobo and horses

bobo and horses Senior Member

At this stage of the game, any thing that is fed won't effect any tail hair that has grown out. IMO, you have two choices ---- cut the bad part off, or dye it. Oops, I just thought of another one --- the spray color stuff in a can. Fairly cheap, a lot of tack stores carry it, they have it in several colors, tho your color may have to be ordered. It called Shapley, or something along that line.

Too lazy today to check spelling, lol. it's most likely sun bleached, any enhancer, cleaner won't be helpful. I say, wash well, condition well, and leave it as it is.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
  4. SoutherngirlBR

SoutherngirlBR Full Member

I've never tried it but I've heard vinegar can help, basically wash the tail in it. I'd keep it in a tail bag until your show to keep it from getting dirty. Wash it in vinegar once a day u until you show and I've also seen that hydrogen peroxide/alcohol can help

5. Zimalia

Zimalia Senior Member

Get some Quick N Brite. You won't believe how it will clean the white on a horse! In fact, it will clean the same stuff off the colored hairs just as easily. It's a pink gel, melt in the nuker, add warm water. It doesn't get any easier. You can find it here on line. I love the stuff. It leaves the hair coat so soft and nice. I have not found anything that does a better job!! You'll love it!!

6. bobo and horses

bobo and horses Senior Member

Tail is most likely sun bleached, not much can be done but to dye it, cut it off or spray. Tail bottom according to op isn't white, only the top.

7. Garfield70

Garfield70 Senior Member

It's quite common that chestnut/sorrel horses have lighter tails that tend to orange/yellowish. It's probably the natural colour.

8. miscetera

miscetera Senior Member

Get a dark shade of henna at your local beauty supply. A horse tail takes 2 packages. Mix as directed and leave on for an hour. Rinse thoroughly with plain water.

9. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

I think the horse has a while tail, but it is stained. I would dye (bleach) it.

10. JStorry

JStorry Senior Member

I use purple shampoo on my palomino. Works great