Recovery time for broken collarbone and when I can ride again

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Tulurah Caberatt, Aug 11, 2018.

1. Tulurah Caberatt

Tulurah Caberatt Registered

I fell off my horse about a week ago and broke my collarbone. I’m getting very down due to not being able to do anything especially ride!! I haven’t been able to get out of bed. I’m not in to much pain anymore. Can anyone give me positive advice or their experiences?

2. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

My girlfriend got thrown off a horse at the top of a levee and landed at the bottom of it. Broke her collarbone. Six weeks later she rode. If you're young, you heal quick; older, you add a couple weeks on up to six more weeks.

You need to just go hang around your horse, once you can walk around more, and just brush him and hang around with your horsey friends until you are all healed up.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  3. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Good luck and be patient there racehorsie. I know, but try. Manes is right. Jingling for you-!!

4. palogal

palogal Senior Member

I broke mine in high school. I was riding in 8 weeks.

5. Misty H

Misty H Full Member

I know it’s not the same but my step daughter was bucked from her old horse Joker and dislocated her elbow, it was nasty after about 6 weeks she was back to riding again. Jingling for a fast recovery for you. Just show your horse love and affection.

6. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Senior Moderator Staff Member

The best answer to your question is that your doctor(s) are the correct source for advise on when you can resume riding safely after that particular kind of injury.

Alsosusieq2, Misty H and manesntails like this.
  7. DocsLglyBlonde

DocsLglyBlonde Senior Member

Yup, your doctor is where you should be going for the answer to this question. You can't do much for clavicle fractures, but a physician may make you non weight bearing on that upper extremity for a few weeks, or they may just want you to use it as tolerated. A hard callus will form in 6-8 weeks, which is why this is generally the time frame before you can start getting back to normal activities. Riding itself likely wouldn't be too terrible with a clavicle fx, but you'd have to worry about falling and worsening the fracture, the lifting involved before and after riding (like donning and doffing your saddle), etc.

manesntails likes this.
  8. palogal

palogal Senior Member

The collar bone is seriously the most irritating injury. It's sucks how a bone you really pay no attention to is connected to everything you do with your upper body. I had to lay on the kitchen counter so my mom could wash my (very long) hair in the kitchen sink. That wasn't even the most annoying part of it. Anyway.....
    The key is going to be when you feel comfortable. Your shoulder is not going to move quite the way it did after it heals for a while. So, when I say I was riding 8 weeks later...I was riding at the walk trying to get comfortable again. I was also afraid because I broke it falling off over a jump. Take your time. You have your entire life to ride.

9. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Don't they have you go to PT afterwards to help strengthen your muscles that weren't in use for a while?

10. Misty H

Misty H Full Member

My step son broke his collar bone in a car accident 3 years ago and his still gives him problems. He just turned 21, so it’s the body in lame man terms how you will heal and how long. All you can do is take it Day by day and do what the doctor says and leave it supported as long as the doctor says. However, that don’t mean you can’t react and see and visit your horse till then. Show your horse love and that there are no hard feelings towards said horse.

manesntails likes this.