Recipes wanted

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Chester, May 14, 2015.

1. Chester

Chester Senior Member

I am restocking the freezer with quick meals.

Thought I might see if anyone has some recipes I might like to add to them.

The recipes I want include.

10 servings
    $20 cost for them
    Microwave reheat
    Freezeability
    Tasty
    Healthy

Edited to add, complete meals. Nothing needed to eat but thaw and heat.

I already have soups, stews, pastas and a few others in there.

Just thought someone might have an interesting idea. :D Feel free to post any recipes that match the above because even if they aren't one I need someone else might want them.

Last edited: May 15, 2015
  2. tlwidener

tlwidener Senior Member

I made egg mcmuffin sandwiches tonight.

I cooked the eggs individually in a muffin tin at 350 for about 12 minutes. At the same time I toasted split English muffins in the oven.

Then I topped the muffins with Monterey cheese and cooked sliced ham and an egg. Popped them back into the oven until the cheese melted.

We ate a few for dinner. The rest went into the freezer for a couple hours on tray, then got wrapped individually. Either reheat in the microwave or oven. I prefer the oven.

Do cinnamon rolls count as a meal ;) ? I keep my freezer stocked with homemade ones. Mine are finished and frosted when they're frozen. I reheat them at 300 for about 20 minutes.

I also make big batches of waffles and freeze them. You can put anything on waffle. I reheat mine in a toaster.

Do you do chili? That's my favorite soup to freeze. My favorite recipe has beer, chocolate, and coffee in it.

Chester and (deleted member) like this.
  3. Chester

Chester Senior Member

Cinnamon rolls and bacon egg muffins would count as smoko.

Yesterday I spent half the day making morrocan chicken and rice to freeze and my mexican wraps the family loves.

Mexican wraps start with a couple of pounds of ground steak, 4 good sized onions, good amount of hot chilli, some cumin, coriander, salt, pepper, garlic, ginger, chopped tomato, tomato paste and a tin of refried beans cooked for a few hours until the 'sauce' reduces and the meat is melt in the mouth.

The meat gets wrapped in a crepe like creation that has creamed corn and polenta in it along with some of the above herbs/spices then the meat is put on top along with some grated cheese and green shallot and rolled into a big sausage shape. If serving fresh for dinner I add some chopped salad into them. Freezing, they get layed in a single layer on a tray on non stick paper then when frozen packed in 2's into cryovac bags.

Just don't tell them how much 'veg' they are eating. :eek:

Now I have to hear about chilli with beer and chocolate. :D

4. all4him

all4him Senior Member

Once a Month Cooking has a good stuffed shells recipe that works great.

You could precook a meatloaf, slice it and then freeze the slices so you can grab one at a time - or else cook them in muffin tins.

I love to freeze the filling for shepherd's pie and when it's time to serve, make fresh mashed potatoes to make it taste just made.

5. bobo and horses

bobo and horses Senior Member

Heh, Chester, I had to look up what smoko means, should have figured it out. We make the egg/muffin thing, too, for a quick breakfast. Have a lot of receipes, but the under $20 and feeds 10 is a stopper for them.

Waffles do freeze nicely, and can be heated in toaster oven/regular toaster. We pre bake bacon in the oven in batches, freeze and then finish them off in microwave, especially when we have company, served with eggs.

6. Chester

Chester Senior Member

The meals have to be complete meals. Meat and veg or such. Or complete vegetarian meals.

Hubby takes them to work, daughter takes them for her meals and I am also supplying her boyfriend.

They are all working night shifts and very long hours so I try to provide them with at least one good meal a day for when they are at work. That way I know they are eating properly at least once a day.

I know daughter and boyfriend would survive without my meals but are tired from the hours they are doing, are not such great cooks, so would end up being nutritionally deficient in my eyes. :eek: Hubby just prefers to eat my home cooked meals than the ones from the 'camp' kitchen.

The boyfriend isn't as vegetable friendly as I have trained my hubby and kids so I do a bit of hiding good things in the meals. Bit like having a 2yo again. :rofl:

Before any one thinks I am being taken advantage of I enjoy cooking. Daughter's board she pays is more than enough to pay for the 'take away' meals. Boyfriend is a good kid and has more than once supplied the house with enough fish to feed 3 armies and always brings something with him when invited to dinner.

All 3 will also do anything I need around the place and always thank me for my efforts. :)

3 people like this.
  7. BluemoonOKy

BluemoonOKy Senior Member

Eggplant Parmesan freezes well. Also, stuffed peppers. For peppers can make them entirely vegetarian using cut up squash, zuchini, fresh herbs, other veggies that you might have on hand, cheese, tomato, and a grain like quinoa or beans. Can alter recipe to make them mexican style with cumin and cilantro or can make Italian with rosemary, thyme, oregano. Do not cook the peppers until you're ready to eat them.

2 people like this.
  8. all4him

all4him Senior Member

For those who will eat veggies, have you looked into mason jar salads? They are a GREAT idea for a handy meal when out!

4 people like this.
  9. bobo and horses

bobo and horses Senior Member

Chester, I have not forgotten about you, we have had unexpected company thru the weekend and I will absolutely gather some receipes together by the first of the week. Hope you will like to try them. Ogf the top of my head is tacos, a slightly Mexican, tho mostly American stand by. Prepare the meat sauce and freeze and later add toppings and wrap in flour tortillas or hard shells. Will get that receipe, too.

1 person likes this.
  10. partyof5

partyof5 Full Member

Cabbage rolls - easiest way to make them is to freeze the cabbage head for a couple of days, thaw completely, and just peel the leaves and roll. No precooking of the cabbage required.

I second the stuffed pasta shells. I stuff mine with ricotta, spinach, eggs, and various cheeses, then I tuck meatballs in between the shells for a one-dish complete meal.

2 people like this.