Rearing while leading..

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by Seein'Spots, Apr 11, 2006.

1. Seein'Spots

Seein'Spots Senior Member+

My 2 yr old colt has decided that rearing is fun when I am leading him .. I frikkin' hate it and I need to stop it NOW .. I would like to hear from stallion owners how they have corrected this prblem .. Thanks

I don't use a chain ( maybe I should ) and when I carry the crop with me on occasion to try to wack him one , he see's the crop and doesn't do it ..

2. CowGirlUp1833

CowGirlUp1833 Senior Member+

Its most likely a disrespect issue. YES, you should use a stud chain, and IMHO, give it a good YANK when those front feet come off the ground. Rearing is DANGEROUS and needs to be nipped in the bud ASAP.

3. JBandRio

JBandRio Senior Member+

IMHO shanking him is only like to cause his front end to become lighter.

He's giving you signals before he rears that he's going to do it. He has to slow/stop his forward motion, and that is your clue. The INSTANT he hesitates, either get him with a long whip you are carrying in your non-leading hand, or quickly lead him on a circle, using your whip hand to encourage him along.

If he does succeed in going up on you (this is why I like to use at least a 12' lead rope, not the standard 9') then use your whip to smack his cannon bones, or even his chest/belly. Long whip plus long lead rope means you can stay out of his way.

4. Blistering Winds

Blistering Winds Senior Member+

Use the long whip BEHIND him to increase his forward movement.

Personally on a horse that rears, don't do anything to his "front" end till he comes down, or you'll teach him to go further up and back to avoid you.

Always ask for forward momentum, then to tight circles as soon as he starts to come down.

5. John

John Senior Member+

This works!! A good smack BELOW the knees.

Bruce Wiley likes this.
  6. stormyknight

stormyknight Senior Member

I would use a stud chain over the nose and if he starts getting stupid, then give him a pop. If you catch him mid-rear already, I use the technique listed above - whap him across the knees with a whip. I did that with my two year old colt - a few lessons of that and he learned that rearing was NOT the way to go to get my attention.

7. Skinfaxi

Skinfaxi Senior Member

I would take Blistering Winds advice and push from behind. This is all good advice. However until he "gets it" he will probably still pop up on you. When he does(after pushing judiciously with a long whip) I would use a chain as well. And USE it. Don't hang on it at All, and as soon at his front feet leave the ground give a good firm pop. And like above, if he is high, whack his chest, shoulder or legs, below the knee. Make being up MUCH more unpleasant than having all 4 on the ground.

Rearing rewards the horse by getting him away from you and your cues. Take away that reward.

If you wait until he comes back down you to correct him, you might teach him that he will get punished FOR coming down, and may stay up longer to avoid it. You want him to avoid going up in the first place.

When he is back on the ground, walk forward calmly and normally, if you must, push with the whip again. Stay relaxed and don't get angry. Repeat and be careful.

8. JBandRio

JBandRio Senior Member+

Yes, thanks, I did not clarify that - I was picturing it and didn't write the words! Carry the long whip in your non-leading hand, and without looking at the horse, use to tap him on the barrel to go forward. Ask nicely, then let him know you mean it. Your job is to face forward and walk forward.

9. CowGirlUp1833

CowGirlUp1833 Senior Member+

I guess it depends on how severe the problem has already become. In my experience, some times all you need is to get thier attention.

10. reiner girl

reiner girl Senior Member+

i would use a chain but don't yank down crack it upwards an make sure u say NO or BAD good luck:)