Really AQHA?

Discussion in 'Equestrian Events, Shows, Competitions' started by LoveTrail, Feb 1, 2016.

1. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

Alsosusieq2 and tlwidener like this.
  2. CJ

CJ Senior Member

English vs Western makeup..
    Pleasure vs Horsemasnhip makeup..
    Just whats needed, 1 more thing to worry about before or during a show day :willynilly:
    "Dont flatter yourself cowgirl, the judge is looking at your Horse"!

3. bnttyra

bnttyra Senior Member

Most judges don't care about make up. I just worry more about having a good ride or pattern, everything takes care of itself.

4. tlwidener

tlwidener Senior Member

I thought the same freaking thing when that came through my news feed.

Ridiculous.

If we ever show again we'll be using a training saddle and wearing plain button downs with scarves. If much rather put money into lessons and training than bling! Makeup is only to enhance natural beauty. I do feel okay putting money into nice chaps and hats; those last.

The powers that be within the AQHA are clueless. Did you see the article about getting more youth involvement? They didn't really think to mention money. Duh. Of course it's about money!!!

Horse showing is an elite pursuit.

5. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

And AQHA on the stock breed level is at the top and keeps on making it more so with articles like this and videos like their HMS video that also stresses the expensive outfits.

Yeah, saw that article. I also seen when Sandy had posted on Facebook about challenging trainers to give lessons. Though what about the adults that also left showing? It isn't just the youth they need, but all those adults that left because of life. Some do want to come back, but it it very hard with no help from most trainers to even get going because of price.

We have one in our barn working on getting back into the pen, plans on showing later this month with a leased horse, after a very successful APHA career, world title, but something like ten years later, she is trying to get into AQHA a year after having her baby. Thankfully the trainer at our barn is one of those trainers that does still give lessons to youth and adults. Many of her youth have gone on to Congress titles after starting with her. But, she is one of the few that still that in Colorado. Most won't give lessons, only want people to own their horse and keep it in training with them. That's the reason I left OhSoAppy's trainer, she quit giving lessons to people who couldn't afford to have their horse in training with her. I could only afford lessons.

Oh, and me, I rarely wear makeup at the shows. When I do it is more like at World and still not a whole lot. My daughter, she loves makeup and works at the Impulse counter at Macy's, did me up once and friends noticed,and commented which means it wasn't me. Our top amateur from our state does not wear make up and never has. And made the finals the last two years in HMS at World.

Varisha and tlwidener like this.
  6. wilburtoby

wilburtoby Senior Member

its crazy. i see more and more that people are offering "professional" make up at horse shows.. so maybe they are showing this for the girls who do it themselves? idk... If i was in a bigger show, i would make sure my makeup was on point for my showmanship or eq classes. Would i pay someone to do it ? eh probably not.

i always just wear a nice colored lip stick that stands out... mascara. thats about it. otherwise, it melts off my face due to the heat/stress/anxiety.

SumLikeItHot likes this.
  7. tlwidener

tlwidener Senior Member

I like a trainer from Garden City. I wish he'd show in Colorado instead of OK and TX. He does a lot of open shows in Hutch and Wichita; they're fun but hard to afford by the time I drive and get a hotel.

horse luvr1 likes this.
  8. sherian

sherian Senior Member

I don't wear that much makeup to formal dinners - I figure I am doing good at a horse show if I don't have a green slobber smear on my nose.

Trubandloki, Arem, froglander and 4 others like this.
  9. fennecfox

fennecfox Senior Member

The best part is it's mostly poorly applied. It's cakey and cheap looking, and the lipstick is god awful.

10. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

HOLD UP here.

From the very link you posted:
    The sentiments women have for makeup seem to fall into one of three categories.

1. The contingent who would like to see Sephora, Ulta and the Mac counter added as the eighth, ninth and 10th Wonders of the World.
    2. The group who would rather not touch makeup with a 10-foot pole. (I’d say this opinion will save you a lot of money in the long run!)
    3. The rest of us who recognize makeup as a necessary evil.
    For the women in Groups 1 and 3, allow me to introduce Emma Koprowski.

Now, how is AQHA Pushing make up? They are not. They are stating that ''for those who choose to use it....here's some tips."