Ready to give up.

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by jill pondell, Oct 20, 2015.

1. jill pondell

jill pondell Full Member

Hi, any advice/support that can be offered is much, much appreciated.

Last may I became the owner of a very sweet 13 year old arabian mare. She was very forward and fun to ride, the only issue was that she was out of shape. For the next couple months I rode her exclusively english with no problems. She became unwilling to move forward at some point, which was solved by a saddle fitting. Again I continued to rider her english and started playing with western. In the summer we went to a camp in prep for 4-h. She was not excited about moving forward, this time fixed by a chiro, which gave me instant and great results. After the adjustment we had a great week. We went on to have a very successful showing at 4-h. English and western, walk/trot/canter. We performed a beautiful training level test 1 and after 4-h we were schooling some lateral work and had beautiful walk/canter transitions. In mid-late august she became unwilling to move forward again. She would back, buck, and run into walls. I assumed it had something to do with saddle fit because of previous experience with her. Had saddle checked, it was fine. Had her teeth done, twice-- until they were correct. Shes put on tons of weight and condition since i first got her. Still no improvement. At the beginning of september I had 1 very good ride on her doing western. Walk trot canter, collected. Tried her english, she threw me. Trainer thought it may be beneficial to both of us to work her with side reins for a while. So for the past 2-3 weeks I have ridden her twice at the walk, lunging her often. She lunges GREAT. Shes taking contact with the bit, tracking up, walk trot canter both directions. The second I get on her she is resistant to move forward. She will walk after some encouragement, but taking very slow and tense steps. She will trot after even more encouragement, but she is again tense and unwilling. I'm at a loss. Health is good, saddle fits, bareback riding goes the same way. I love this horse so much but last night she had me in tears of frustration. Obviously the goal is to have fun, even if I want to show, but I can't enjoy riding her anymore. I'm putting in my best and all the patience I have and I feel like I'm not getting anything back. I'm not sure what to do. My trainer tells me to stick with it, but she's the one who sold me this horse on the account of she was "too much" for her own daughter. I'm frustrated and discouraged and I have a lot of financial and emotional investment into this horse that is not currently ridable. Advice? Do I sell her? Do I keep doing what I'm doing? Do I spend more money on the possibility of medical problems? Is it a training issue? Do I send her away? Kick her until she works? I've ridden this horse at her best and she is a great willing horse with fantastic gaits and very light to the aids. There has to be something wrong, right? WHAT AM I MISSING?? Please help :(

2. SEAmom

SEAmom Senior Member

Seeing a video or even some pictures (ones you think are most representative of how you usually ride) would be very helpful. If you've ruled out obvious pain, vet, chiro, dental, etc. then it could very well be you. Has anyone else ridden her or just you?

prairiesongks, meljean and kaitlynJ like this.
  3. Zephyer1995

Zephyer1995 Senior Member

Have you had the chiro back out? My horses are seen a few times a year by a chiro and massage therapist to make sure they stay comfortable.

prairiesongks and ginster like this.
  4. wpgrider

wpgrider Senior Member

My first thought was if it is changing with any rider, not just you, my thought would be rider and that's not necessarily a bad thing. Heck if I kept getting thrown, I'd be so nervous, and horses can see right through that.

5. kaitlynJ

kaitlynJ Senior Member

I agree with this. A video would help a lot to see if its discomfort, training or rider...etc. Has anyone else ridden her? Does she do it only with you?

meljean likes this.
  6. jill pondell

jill pondell Full Member

Both of my instructors have ridden her with the same results. A fellow student rode her, same results. A knowledgeable adult rider. Same thing :( Honestly I dont feel like getting on her to get a video but I can sometime during the week.

7. jill pondell

jill pondell Full Member

I haven't had the chiro back out. THe last time chiro was an issue she was having very obvious discomfort in her neck and could not flex laterally or longitudinally. Shes not acting like shes in pain or discomfort as far as I can tell.

D_BaldStockings likes this.
  8. BayMare1

BayMare1 Senior Member

if it happens the moment you get on I suspect back pain. check again, and again. Arabs want to work, and are very willing. This leads me to believe she CAN'T go.

9. jill pondell

jill pondell Full Member

I feel like she cant. But she works BEAUTIFULLY on the lunge. I want to believe theres something physically preventing her from willingly working for me but everyone else is telling me its a training issue and I just need patience and time, which I am very much out of. I'm afraid to sink money into a chiro and massage therapist and get nothing out of it, or for it to only continue to occur on a regular basis. I just had her adjusted in June.

10. wpgrider

wpgrider Senior Member

Has she had a full blown vet check? Maybe the chiro is temporarily relieving some discomfort but she is finally saying nope, I'm done, the pain is too much?