Ration Balancer Reference Thread

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by imacowgirl2, Jul 15, 2007.

1. LifeIsGrand

LifeIsGrand Senior Member

It's not for every horse. How much hay do they get ? Quality of hay?
    I had my horse on a progressive rb with one of their weight supplements. I couldn't keep track of the hay at my barn but it is good quality hay and I don't think he got enough for a horse on a rb. I gave up on the RB because he was just too skinny for my taste and switched him to TC senior. He got much healthier looking within a few months.

2. MargaretWill

MargaretWill Registered

They get adequate quality hay. They aren't losing weight. As a matter fact they are holding probably the same weight. I guess I expected to see a difference in their body condition. The youngster is in fairly regular training however not strenuous. I mean I'm not training them for show or cutting horse futurity or anything like that. But there are fat pockets that I assumed would dissipate without the sweet feed. She's not what I would consider fat, just has these pockets around her tail dock and near her shoulders. Perhaps with the continued training that will resolve itself. I'm trying to justify the added expense to my husband. Even though we feed a lot less of the TC30.

3. JBandRio

JBandRio Senior Member

Look at the cost per serving, not the cost per bag.

Fat deposits around the tail head and shoulder, without the horse being fat, is one symptom of insulin resistance.

2 people like this.
  4. froglander

froglander Senior Member

So many different RB out there, how do you pick one?

5. DelP

DelP Senior Member

For me the first thing I did was look to see what I could get relatively close and consistently without needing to order. That narrowed it down to two brands Purina and Nutrena. I'm not a huge fan of Purina so that really only left me with one to choose.

EDIT to add. There seems to be so little difference in the different RB brands that driving a long distance or trying to get a store to consistently special order it didn't seem worth it.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2014
    2 people like this.
  6. XxLiveToRidexX

XxLiveToRidexX Senior Member

You get the one that is easiest for you to get. The majority of RBs are very similar.

1 person likes this.
  7. JBandRio

JBandRio Senior Member

Yep, this.

There's no sense fretting over trying to get Seminole Equalizer if you live where it's not distributed. Start by finding which ones are available in a store you can get to on a reasonably regular basis, then make sure it's a product they regularly carry OR will have brought in with a regular shipment if you give them enough leeway, AND the price fits your wallet, THEN see if the horse likes it :D If the horse doesn't like it, then you have to open you wallet a little more, or drive a little farther.

As said, they are all similar enough, of at least good enough quality, that it really doesn't matter which one you use. Some have more protein - 32% instead of 30% - and a few have less - Tribute Essential K is only 28% protein for the "grass" balancer, as opposed to 30 or 32, and some are made for alfalfa so in the 10-12% range. Those are really your only deciding factors in terms of what to use - one for grass hay, or one for all/mostly alfalfa.

8. froglander

froglander Senior Member

Well, I know TC30 is easy to get. Feed store carries Seminole products but I don't think they carry the Equalizer (had a vet say they liked that one). Now to figure out if he would do okay on TC30 or if I should keep him on 2lbs a day of TC Lite :)