Rat Catcher

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by ~*GOJUMP*~, Mar 20, 2008.

1. ~*GOJUMP*~

~*GOJUMP*~ Senior Member+

OK, so all hunters (or anyone else who knows the answer)...I need help!

Why on EARTH do we call our collars Rat Catchers? Obviously this goes back to a long time ago when hunter/jumper was Fox Hunting. But i need more than that! This has been bugging me for such a longgg time! lol!

Sorry, this was WAY random, but it's been driving me crazy! haha

2. ~*GOJUMP*~

~*GOJUMP*~ Senior Member+

yeah, ok, bump???!!!

3. Lindsayanne

Lindsayanne Senior Member+

I don't know about the name, but did you know the stock tie was originally intended for use to bandage broken and maimed limbs in the event of an accident while fox hunting!?

4. farmeress

farmeress Banned

See....to me a "rat catcher" is my Mamma Kitty, or my Jakers cat or any of the other barn cats I own.

I did used to know why they are rat catcher but will have to ask my mother who is 90 years young and used to foxhunt as a young girl in England.

5. PonyCrazyGal

PonyCrazyGal Senior Member+

I *think*, and I could certainly be completely wrong, but I've always been under the impression that the entire show shirt was called the ratcatcher. I'm not certain as to why, but I will try to find out :) .

6. Custom Made

Custom Made Senior Member+

i have always wondered this same question!!

7. Kicks

Kicks Senior Member+

The shirt is the 'ratchatcher'. It lacks the pointed collar normally seen on button shirts so that a stock tie could be worn in comfort while hunting. A stock was worn so that it could be used as a bandage for human and/or horse. Chockers are often worn in showing in place of the stock tie.

8. Preppy_Ponies

Preppy_Ponies Senior Member+

The term "ratcatcher" refers to the whole shirt.

Okay so I remember being told that the reason behind the name "ratcatcher" was that way back when this kind of collar would keep things from falling down your shirt while foxhunting. Several different people over the years have said that the collar would specifically keep rats from falling down your shirt! Not saying that any of that is true just what several trainers/pros told me many years ago;)

9. Fox Glove

Fox Glove Senior Member+

Ratcatcher actually referrs to the attire itself.

It comes from what the "ratchatcher" or "terrier man" wore. He was more than likey a Crofter and followed the Hunt across his feild. When a fox went to ground the terrier man, would send his terrier into the covert to kill the fox.

We wear ratcatcher here during cubbing season, some hunts in the UK and other parts of the world the feild is permitted to wear ratcatcher all season long.

Quoted from the MFHA site.http://www.mfha.com/index.htm

I hope this helps you understand ratcatcher, Foxhunting has a lot of protocol that it is fiercey proud of, with long standing traditions that go back to the very beggining of the sport. You will not find a terrier man in the USA, and with the ban, the UK hunts are all non kill hunts now.

Infact sighting a fox is rare with the ever shrinking land parcels to chase and hunt on these days.

Paula

I found an old Hunting print, The Terrier Man.

[​IMG]
    He is in "formal attire" as he is in a Hunting "pinque" it also lets the feild know he is a member of the "Hunt staff" . These old prints are studies in artistic liscense ;)

Last edited: Mar 21, 2008