Rant about starting too early

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by RG NIGHT HEIR, Apr 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RG NIGHT HEIR

RG NIGHT HEIR Senior Member

Doing ground work and 20 something woman comes in the small arena with a large gelding.She asked if it would bother my horse if she would lunge and ride her horse. My response was go for it, if it doesn't bother me it should not bother my horse.
    She lunges in very tight side reins with a dressage saddle on,horse's head behind the vertical from the side reins.If that wasn't already enough,then she asked me if I would not canter my horse because she wants to "ride " the horse. Being curious I found out he is a 2 yr old Oldenburg and she is from France. I'm trying to contain my emotions asking if she has a helper. "I'm OK he is OK he let's me sit on him but I can't figure out why he won't let me steer him with the reins. "
    I'm having visions of jumping on her shaking her and saying things I can't repeat.
    I mumbled something like gelassenheit and learning to stretch reaching for the bit,letting the horse develop strength subtleness etc before even riding.
    Oh I want to make sure I can handle him was her stupid answer.
    Response of me ,if you can handle him on the ground what make you assume you are able to handle him under saddle.
    She wants him to be her Dressage Horse in a couple of years.
    I packed up and left in total disgust before I go yelling at her.
    Thanks for reading I feel better now.

Alsosusieq2 and ginster like this.
  2. ginster

ginster Senior Member

Poor horse...

3. StraightandTrue

StraightandTrue Senior Member

I was shocked when I learned the mare I purchased was broken in at 2.5yrs old. To me that's just way too young, but it seems to be common practice for WBs to be broken in at 2.5yrs old then turned out for a year. I guess the breeders are thinking of the young horse classes and want to assess potential early on. Personally I think it's pointless breaking a horse in then turning it out for a year because there's no continuity. 2 months at the breakers isn't going to make a significant impact on the horse if it's followed by 12 months of nothing. You're better off waiting until they're mature enough to be put in a program after they've been broken in.

I actually wish my mare wasn't broken in before I bought her because whoever did the job created serious issues with her accepting the contact - probably from doing exactly what you described. She would suck behind the vertical and have a meltdown whenever she felt pressure. It's taken the better part of 12 months to get her to a point where she is confident in the contact and working over her back rather than going around hollow and tense. People don't understand that side reins, draw reins, chambons etc are not a replacement for correct training. They need to be used thoughtfully, and only after the horse is confident in the bridle. Otherwise they create tension and evasion. But ah well, I guess that lady will find it out the hard way. Her impatience will lead to a lifetime of corrective training.

4. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Oh yeah..Sorry, I'd have been probably vocal and got my blood pressure off the chart. To no avail, they never listen.

5. slc

slc Senior Member

There is no prob with riding warmbloods at 2 1/2..... .IF you do it for 5 minutes at a walk for a couple weeks, no longeing, then turn em out for a year more.....but no.........

6. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

So, are you ranting about the fact that they started a 2yo or are you ranting about how they were training a 2yo?

There's absolutely nothing wrong with starting 2yos as long as you take each individual horse into account, pay attention, take it easy and take care of them.

My 2yo has 16 rides on him. He was started in January, ridden lightly for a month, then left alone until April. He's been ridden lightly and consistently since April 1st. Putting a month on him and then letting him be for a few months worked great for him, as it usually does with most of the ones I have started. He came back even better in April than he was in January. He went on his first real trail ride yesterday and he did great.

So, done correctly and smartly, there' nothing wrong with it.

Cranking them down with gimmicks and running them into the ground is not correct or smart.

bsaz, GotaDunQH, kodemiester and 2 others like this.
  7. savethewhaley

savethewhaley Senior Member

Strongly disagree- a 2 year old horse is still a baby. I've spent enough time with OTTB to know that 2 years is too young- they haven't near finished developing and I've seen many many many injuries that could easily have been prevented if someone had waited to ride a youngster. I work for an OTTB retraining program but I won't touch that horse until they are at least five, and even then I work with them on the ground first as if they've never been ridden. Breezing horses on the track and training TB for racing is biomechanically different then the dressage/eventing training I do with them.

Getting on a 2 year old horse and expecting it to use it's body effectively to prevent injury is useless- they don't have the bone structure or muscle to move properly, and there is no purpose in riding an animal incorrectly. Many horses started that young have incredibly short show careers because their career starts at 3 (I see it most in western pleasure, reining, dressage, and hunters) and is over by 10 because their body can't hold up to the stress.

8. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

Lol ok.
    I'd be interested to hear your studies and stats on all these western horses you've seen/had experience with. Waiting till a horse is 5 to start makes me roll on the floor laughing. Give me a break. Lots of horses that are started at 2 go on to be performance horses into their 20s. I see is NFR horses 15-18 yrs old performing and winning.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
  9. doublelranch

doublelranch Senior Member

So running a two year old on the track is OK, but not old enough for riding them correctly? Not being sarcastic, but wouldn't they be broke down by 10 from racing anyway since started so young as you stated? And yes. Track broke is much different than "broke". All off the track get started on the ground after their racing careers since they don't know anything.

kodemiester and Puddincup like this.
  10. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

I never mentioned anything about race horses. The race horse industry does its own thing. I don't have a thing to do with that industry. I also don’t have a thing to do with the futurity industry. I think it puts way too much pressure on young horses and and their training programs.

Thankfully, the barrel futurities are for 4 and 5 yo's unlike the rest of them. I have no plans of starting my colt on the pattern any time soon, but he's definitely in a training program.

NaeNae and mooselady like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.