Rain rot

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by borzoimom, Dec 15, 2011.

1. Chow

Chow Senior Member+

Be careful with the listerine spray. Some horses seem to tolerate it....on others they act like it is burning. If they are bothered by the spray it will be much harder to get fly spray on them in the spring.

Thanks for the idea to try tea tree oil. I do like to use organic ways as much as possible!

2. AnnieWildfire

AnnieWildfire Registered

I haven't figured out how to start my own thread, so if it's ok, can I add a little to this one?
    This morning I found the first sign of rain rot on my horse. I live in rainy Oregon, where it's really wet. He's in a field, with a 10x10 shelter, but no walls. I'm hoping to put up a better shelter soon, but until then, I was thinking to blanket him at night/when it's extra rainy. Should I try blanketing to keep him dry, or something else? I don't have anywhere to completely remove him from the wet (like in a barn). Also, what does everybody think of Banixx for treating/preventative for rain rot?
    Thanks! (my first experience with rain rot, and it's got me worried!!!)

3. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Just give him an iodine bath, walk him dry and that kills the rain rot. Then buy him a light weight, no fill, rainsheet.

4. AnnieWildfire

AnnieWildfire Registered

Thank you! Do you know of a preferred brand of rainsheet? I'm having trouble finding a good one :(

5. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

6. ElviraH

ElviraH Registered

My favourite method to treat this is nizoral shampoo from the chemist. Any shampoo with the active ingredient ketoconazole will work. Fab if you can shampoo in, leave for 5-10 minutes and wash off gently with a soft brush which will remove some of the scabs. I never get too aggressive with the brush but loosen and pick off stubborn ones.
    Fill a spray bottle with nizoral and water, shake before use and every day spray on affected areas liberally until it clears up. if you can bath a second time it helps too.
    If your horse is very sensitive to mud then keeping the spray handy is useful for all year round.

I don’t blanket if they have this as you want as much air on them as possible.
    Always wash brushes and equipment, head collars etc in the shampoo too as it can be transferred and remain contagious until a year later. So best not to turn out in paddock etc as that’s going to be impossible to clean...

7. equinitis

equinitis Senior Member

I buy inject-able Vit. A for cattle at the feed store, it is pretty cheap, the give it to the equine orally. Just use the syringe without the needle and squirt it in their mouth. 3 or 4 cc into the mouth once a week until it's cleared up. Topical treatments will ease itching and do not hurt either.

It seems winter and early spring are the prime times for rain rot to surface and I believe that is because Vit A becomes deficient. Vit A is found primarily in green grass/hay and is lost as cut hay ages. Pasture grass freezes and Vit A is lost. The development of rain rot is a "perfect storm" of low Vit A, high moisture, low sunlight and ,sometimes, is compounded by some sort of compromised immune system.

I have not had to deal with rain rot in many years since I have not lived in any high humidity areas but, when I was in Va., it was pretty common in several barns I worked at/rode at over the years I was there. One older lady, you know she was about the age I am now lol, gave me some to give to my horse and the rain rot was completely resolved in about 10 days.

As with any illness you are not familiar with, you should consult your vet for advise.