Rain rot

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by borzoimom, Dec 15, 2011.

1. borzoimom

borzoimom Senior Member

I have read so much... Okay.. Lets say you had a temporary rescue in your barn and the horse had rain rot.
    What would help the horse?
    I am looking for a routine ie do this am and do this pm or do this so-in so times a day.
    Does one blanket the horse if barn is not heated ?
    What antibiotics if be a vet would suggest and how administered?

2. Chow

Chow Senior Member+

Rain rot is caused by an anaerobic bacteria.....that means it thrives under those scabs because oxygen can't get at it.

There are lots of approaches to getting it under control. I use bag balm to soften up the scabs and then remove them after a few hours. I put more bag balm or an antibacterial spray on the open sores. It usually heals in a few days.

Others will probably offer other methods that work just as well. Some horses are just prone to it...others never get it.

1 person likes this.
  3. borzoimom

borzoimom Senior Member

I have bag balm by the gallon. Do you use then a bristle type brush after say 6 hours ? And is that brush contaminated afterwards? ( I am sorry for my simple questions.) Meaning - can I use the same brush for that horse? But then a new brush for the next one?
    So that means no blanket so we turn on the heat lamp at the stall?

4. Chow

Chow Senior Member+

Actually....I pick it off by hand. There is really sore skin under the scabs....a bristle brush would probably be painful. If it is really severe...don't try to get all the scabs at one time. When the scabs come off the hair comes with it too.

At the rescue we have had some horses come in covered with rain rot on their back and rump...it takes a while to get rid of all of that. I just bought some spray on stuff...I think it is called Banix or something like that. Don't yet know how well it will work.

The bag balm seems to be soothing and seems to work well without pain. I would leave the blankets off to really let the air get at it. Blankets left on and the horse sweating under them seems to make rain rot worse.

Around here it gets really cold at night but warm in the daytime. If I blanket at night....I take them off mid morning.

1 person likes this.
  5. Sosser

Sosser Full Member

I find any kind of tea tree oil products shift rain rot very rapidly
    http://www.vitacost.com/Tea-Tree-Therapy-Antiseptic-Ointment-Eucalyptus-Australiana-and-Lavender-Oil

http://www.amazon.com/Antiseptic-Cream-4-oz/dp/B000HZVS2M/ref=sr_1_40?ie=UTF8&qid=1324056955&sr=8-40
    Also I wash my saddle blankets and brushes with this
    http://www.amazon.com/Kookaburra-Sh...sr_1_1?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1324057015&sr=1-1

You only need a tiny bit so it lasts ages... smells fab and is antiseptic - the one time my horse got rain rot was when someone brushed him with someone else brush...:rolleyes:

1 person likes this.
  6. borzoimom

borzoimom Senior Member

Thank you both!

7. Halo's_mom

Halo's_mom Senior Member

Rain rot is also caused by a vitamin A deficiency so put her on a vitamin supplement or get straight vitamin A in a syringe and shoot it down the mouth for a couple of days that makes a huge difference. Do not blanket the horse as this helps the moister stay in there and spread. I used Listerine as it acts as an antiseptic i used a sponge with warm water to loosen the remove by hand then sprayed the Listerine and it was gone in a few days as well as added the vitamin a.

8. borzoimom

borzoimom Senior Member

Listerine was suggested by the vet as well... Also he said to put on the heat lamp at the corner of the stall and do not blanket. Being full spectrum lamp, this should raise the Vitamin A as well as D to help... Right?

9. Halo's_mom

Halo's_mom Senior Member

That will help some but i prefer to feed the vitamin and get it in the system fast the results are way faster and it will not spread more. There are supplements that you can find the any local Atwoods or Tractor supply that will work in powder form or get the straight vit a i usually find that at atwoods. I have only had one horse with this issue and he was new and had it. Got this info from a friend and it worked and within a week it was all gone. Now i put minerals in the pasture so my horses won't lack anything and that horse recovered fine and never had a relapse

10. arabfan

arabfan Senior Member

my vet said that rain rot is best treated with a sulfur based antibotics given orally he said hes cultered rain rot many times over the years and its always bacteria based and he said this method works wonders. Just thought I would pass this along.