Rain-future show horse

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by NBChoice, Dec 28, 2016.

1. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

It won't hurt you to canter. People had babies travelling West in wagons. As long as you don't fall off, no harm will come to the baby. Trust me. I jogged horses until I couldn't get a leg over the seat of the cart. I stopped the last six weeks and because I was so fit, the labor, first kid, was 45 minutes~!!

Exercise is fantastic for you while pregnant. The Doctors knew I was exercising and were all for it.

Alsosusieq2, heartland and NBChoice like this.
  2. NBChoice

NBChoice Senior Member

That's how I see it too. I've been trotting and cantering Rain with no issues and I figured that using my core muscles while riding is going to do nothing but good things for me. I'm always a little weary when getting on just because there is always a risk of falling of course. I've just been more picky about the days I ride. If it's crazy windy and pouring rain and the barn sounds like it's going to collapse then obviously I stay off lol. But it's nice to have some validation from other horse people that what I'm doing is okay so thank you. People who don't ride look at me like I'm insane when they hear I'm still riding as much as I can. :unsure:

The only reason I said no cantering on Sublime earlier in the thread is because he has had the tendency to be incredibly rough and unpredictable in the canter the last few months. Plus now his soundness thing again. Rain has the nicest smoothest canter though so we are good there!

Alsosusieq2, manesntails and ginster like this.
  3. heartland

heartland Senior Member

I’m due in a couple weeks, I rode this during this pregnancy until the end of July? Walk, trot, canter. Then I took a driving clinic. I would have kept riding in August but our smoke situation was way too horrible. By September I was just feeling too large/uncomfortable to get my butt up in the saddle so that’s when I stopped.

It’s definitely a personal choice and different for everyone but manes is right, the main risk is from falling. If your body is used to the exercise then it’s fine to continue it while pregnant. It would be different if you’ve never ridden before lol.

I didn’t ride with my first pregnancy purely due to incredible “morning” sickness that lasted for almost the whole first 6 months of my pregnancy. I just wasn’t physically up to it, no energy, not able to eat, lol.

Edited for grammar, darn autocorrect

4. NaeNae

NaeNae Senior Member

I have to admit, I've never been a fan of ASBs, just not the look I prefer in horses, or riding, but I LOVE your thread and watching you work with your horses. They are gorgeous and you're really opening me up to a different discipline. :LOL:

5. NBChoice

NBChoice Senior Member

I LOVE hearing this. Thank you so much! I really try to portray them in a positive light and show that not all Saddlebreds are just for Saddle Seat and belong in the show ring. While I do that too, mine also love trail rides and just puttering around at home for fun. Thank you for the wonderful compliment. :love:

Alsosusieq2, manesntails and NaeNae like this.
  6. NBChoice

NBChoice Senior Member

Not Rain or Sublime related. Just a couple videos from the American Royal today.

Road horse class.

5 gaited ponies.

Alsosusieq2 and equinitis like this.
  7. NBChoice

NBChoice Senior Member

Equitation winners today at the Royal. Lots of great riders.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  8. NBChoice

NBChoice Senior Member

I rode both horses yesterday and it went really well. Rain was feeling good in the cold weather and was a little wound up, but still listened nicely and did what was asked. She's been in the habit lately of anticipating the right lead canter when it comes time for that. So I've been trying to work on that. She's also been getting suuuuuper close to the wall a lot of the time... to the point that I have to dig my leg into her side to make sure my leg doesn't drag against the wall. It's really annoying. I'm taking her to a clinic this Saturday with a dressage trainer that my SIL takes lessons with. We'll see how that goes.

Sublime did much better last night. I don't think he looked nearly as off as the previous time. I switched up his pad situation and made it a little thinner and it seemed like it helped a little. He still looked a little stiff going around corners, but not nearly as bad and I figure it's because he's been out of work for a while. He is a little :poop: though. He's always been one to test and pester. As soon as you figure one thing out and make him do it correctly, he'll think something else up to mess with you. He was pretty fussy with the bridle to start. I was trying to ride him so that his head wasn't up too high and so that he could use his back more, but nope. That was NOT happening. He got really ****y and irritated. So up my hands went and then he was all happy and did everything nicely. Guess the long lines will have to be where he has a lower head carriage to work on using all his muscle. In the saddle I'll have to ride him like a Saddle Seat horse. Whatever works. I'm just glad that it went well and that he looked sound.

Alsosusieq2 and ~tiffy~ like this.