Rain-future show horse

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by NBChoice, Dec 28, 2016.

1. NBChoice

NBChoice Senior Member

Took some really nice pictures with my two tonight. Here's the one I put on facebook for my pregnancy announcement and just another one I liked of the two... without my face in them. :whistle:

lead line hgs.jpg lead line hgs2.jpg

2. NBChoice

NBChoice Senior Member

Just a short update with some cute pictures.

My horses have unfortunately been on the back burner for a few weeks now. I'll admit I kind of lost my motivation. It was super hot until this past weekend and I'm done with the heat. I struggle with working my horses when I don't have a specific goal in mind. Don't get me wrong, I still love to ride and it's still fun. But I am much more motivated to go to the barn when I have a goal such as a show. Right now I don't have that. I was going to go to a show at the end of October, but by that time I'll be 18w pregnant and who knows how I'll feel riding a horse in a show then. New environment, loud noises, other horses... is it really a risk I want to take? Plus it was a bit pricier than I was hoping it would be.

Anyway. I talked to my dad about all this because his views are always black and white. I told him how I dont have any motivation to work with Sublime because hes so out of shape and I'm planning on sending him to training next year for a few months. Long lining all the time is boring, even though I know that's what is best for him right now to get back in the swing of things. My dad told me sometimes you have to do boring things to get to the end result you want... which is a well mannered horse who doesnt look like he has zero muscle. Soooo the last two days I have forced myself to work my horses and I do feel much better. I dont feel as guilty. Rain is just a star and Sublime was actually a very good boy. Nice, relaxed trot and moving very nicely.

20180924_181039(0).jpg missy mare.

The rest are sublime.
    20180924_182812.jpg 20180924_184106.jpg 20180925_175644.jpg

3. funkybizniz

funkybizniz Full Member

So cute! Love the long faces.
    Rehab can be boring for the horse and the rider. Can you play games with a yoga ball or teach him to target or pick up something? My horse and I played a lot of clicker games when I was rehabbing from knee surgery- might be something to think about when you're further along with the baby- congrats by the way!! :)

NBChoice and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  4. NBChoice

NBChoice Senior Member

I can always try something like that. Hes so scatter brained that I dont know how he will do with it lol, but it might be fun to try.
    And thank you!

5. NBChoice

NBChoice Senior Member

Both have been working great. I'm hoping to get on Sublime this week and just walk and trot him. No cantering on him until after the baby is born. He's really gained a lot of confidence with his canter in the last few weeks. And built up a bit more strength so he's able to actually canter while being long lined without falling out of it immediately.

Rainy pants is great as usual. Still easy to ride and cute as a button. Tonight I let my mom long line her since she's fairly easy in the lines and my mom needs some experience. Once I'm not able to do as much with the horses I'd like for my mom to work them every so often. Rain was a good sport about it and my mom caught on fairly quickly. I'm hoping that my two wont just be sitting for months on end this winter. I'd like to keep them in decent shape at least.

20181011_174716.jpg missy mare a couple weeks ago.

20181015_183648.jpg
    And mr. Fluffy head.

6. NBChoice

NBChoice Senior Member

I rode both horses yesterday. Rain was a bit of a mare yesterday and making things a little more complicated than usual, but we still had a pretty decent ride by the end of it. I haven't been asking or pushing too much when I ride just because I don't want to do anything too risky. Or make things more risky. My OB didn't really say I couldn't ride anymore... she just said that too much bouncing around isn't okay. My posting is pretty controlled and so is my canter... I figure it's about the same movement as someone who is jogging, which is okay in pregnancy, sooooo................... I don't know how long I'll be able to ride for anyway. Last night as the night went on I started getting really horrible sharp pains in my butt on both sides when trying to stand up from sitting or laying down. Like deep pain where my sacroiliac muscles and ligaments are. I know things stretch and loosen up when pregnant, and I've had some issues on and off with it before, so I may not feel up to it anymore after a while.
    I really don't have much else to say about her. She's just great. Here's some videos from our ride...

Sublime on the other hand, I am super bummed about. After I stopped posting here back in January he had a few months off completely with just hand walking mostly. Then I started bringing him back slowly doing some walking and trotting under saddle and he was perfect. No issues with soundness... then he got the EPM and he was off again for a little. Once he was cleared to work again I did walking and trotting again and just here recently I started incorporating canter work... all of this either in hand or long lining down straight areas. And he looked fantastic doing it all. Not a lame or gimpy step in sight. So I got on him last night and he just felt stiff at first in the walk. So I walked him for quite a while to loosen things up, and when I started trotting he felt okay. The slower he went the worse he felt, but if he went his normal speed he felt pretty good. Well looking at the video afterwards he definitely looks off to me. Even if it's just slightly. :( I'm not going to post it here for fear of what happened last time, and just because I know what I see. It's just super disheartening knowing that this injury happened over a year ago and during the summer he was fine and it looked promising that he'd be able to return to full work eventually. And now... I don't know what to do from here.

Alsosusieq2 and funkybizniz like this.
  7. ginster

ginster Senior Member

Sublime hasn't been ridden consistantly for a year now, right? Any chance his saddle might not fit quite right and that's why he is off undersaddle but not when longlining?
    Do you think massage/chiro might be beneficial once you start bringing him back into regular work?
    Given that you're experiencing discomfort already when riding, I'd give him off until after your baby boy is born..well, not right after, of course. I'd just let him be until then..

LoveTrail likes this.
  8. NBChoice

NBChoice Senior Member

Right. It very well could be a saddle fit issue now. That's definitely a possibility.
    I have tried two of the chiropractors in the area and I have not been impressed at all. I know a lot of people believe in it and find it beneficial. Maybe I would too if I found the right person. But the two I had out did not wow me at all.

I do think I'm going to let him be until after. I'll still do in hand stuff with him, but probably hold off on the riding. I think it was mostly riding him that caused me the pain. I havent had that issue after riding Rain at all. He obviously moves much differently than she does and I had to lengthen my stirrups two holes when I was riding him because I felt tight and cramped... so i was already having some discomfort when riding him. I'll probably just hold off and then see if my instructor can work him once or twice next year before I commit to putting him in training with her.

Alsosusieq2 and ginster like this.
  9. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

I bet your were also feeling his discomfort. When I changed brands of western saddles there was a definite change in how both of us felt.

NBChoice and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  10. NBChoice

NBChoice Senior Member

Probably so.
    It wouldn't hurt to put a different saddle on him and see if there's a difference. I know his back musculature has changed a lot over the past year, so it may just be that. Who knows.

Alsosusieq2, LoveTrail and ~tiffy~ like this.