Questions

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by WesternRider22, Jun 4, 2018.

1. WesternRider22

WesternRider22 Full Member

I bought a really green gelding a few months back and so far he is is coming along great! He doesn't spook anymore objects don't seem to bother him. He is very light and flexable too.
    I put a lot of kids on him today and he was great with them! But there are a few things that he needs to get better at.

1) He is NOT good with dogs!
    When the neighbors dogs get into our field he charges them and strikes at them with his front hooves. When my dogs have gotten in the pasture field with him he bites and chases them.
    He almost stomped my puppy not long ago. Is there anything I can do to prevent this?

2) He doesn't want to turn while loping.
    When I lope him he always wants to run where he wants. When I try to turn him he sometimes wants to fight the bit and go the opposite way, But then other times he is very soft while loping he turns nicely and is easy to handle. The last time I loped him he turned nicely the first time then I tried to make another wide turn with him and he tried to fight the bit and just completely stopped loping.

Any advice?

2. EquineSilver

EquineSilver Full Member

I'd desensitized him to a dog and if you pin his ears I'd pop the lead rope and keep going from their.
    Flexing will help softing him, I'd ask once for him to turn and if he doesn't lightly but a quick jerk to get his attention that way, and for the slower gaits I'd ask once then pull his head all the way to that shoulder.
    My horse use to be the same way. Sorry if it wasn't clear enough!:LOL:

WesternRider22 likes this.
  3. WesternRider22

Thank you!
    I do a lot of flexing with him.
    This is all very helpful!

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
    EquineSilver likes this.
  4. palogal

palogal Senior Member

If he doesn’t like dogs, he doesn’t like dogs. You can train him not to be a jerk when you’re with him but when he’s loose, don’t expect him to play nice. LOTS of horses don’t like dogs.

Keep at your lope, big circles. If he’s green, he’s unbalanced, which is why he won’t turn correctly. Just keep practicing, make the right answer easy with big wide turns, let him learn.

5. gaitedboomer

gaitedboomer Senior Member

When the day comes that a couple of dogs wander in from who knows where and start nipping at his heels, you will be glad the horse hates dogs.

When you're out riding somewhere and a pack of dogs come at you, you will be glad the horse will stand it's ground instead of bolt and run while you're trying to hang on. I TAUGHT my horses to charge dogs when we were out riding; they charged, I used the squirt gun full of water.

I have never stopped my horse from charging dogs, but your horse and pup do have to learn some ground rules for themselves. The best place to start that is in a controlled environment like the barn or paddock.

6. palogal

palogal Senior Member

True as well. It’s more of a dog problem than a horse problem. Much easier to train the dogs to stay out of the pasture than the horse to tolerate their nonsense

7. Garfield70

Garfield70 Senior Member

Will in the future only prevent it as long as you stand next to him, not in the pasture.

He doesn't like dogs, so keep them away from him. He was probably harrassed and chased by dogs in the past and likely has good reason to resent them. Too many dogs love to chase horses, those dumb things don't realize that one good kick will kill them.

As the turning goes, a green horse has to learn the aids for "turn". Here it's important that they learn to mainly turn on weight. You only use the rein to initiate the turn and bring the neck in a position towards the turn, encouraging the body to follow. You do not physically turn the horse using the rein by forcing it with the reins. If the horse fights the rein aid, you were too rough and did it wrong.
    Use an arena where the walls/fence give you a boundary and then train to go on a simple circle. You can also lunge him on a circle at the canter so he understands that basic concept.

8. Garfield70

Garfield70 Senior Member

That's a very good point!

9. WesternRider22

He is a little angel around dogs when he's with me. I guess it is better fo him not to be afraid of dogs and stand his ground on the trails like @gaitedboomer said.

I am going to try to lope him today and make some wide turns so we will see how things go.
    Thanks for all the help everyone!

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  10. Zimalia

Zimalia Senior Member

That he despises dogs it not uncommon. While you may get him over it around you, once he's in a pasture, he's still going to despise them. Not much you can do to change that.
    That he does not turn while loping, call your local equine chiropractor out. If he's never had an adjustment, it's time. Before you make up your mind it's training, give the chiro a shot.

Alsosusieq2 and gaitedboomer like this.