Question

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by condor, Feb 8, 2014.

1. condor

condor Full Member

Say you have a trainer, train and show your horse, is it normalfor the trainer to have client pay all show fees and the client onlygets the end of the year awards?

2. 2006reswc

2006reswc Banned

Not only does the client pay all show, travel, and lodging fees for the trainer, they also pay a ride fee per class that the trainer shows in. If its a big futurity money class, the trainer often gets a cut of that too.

3 people like this.
  3. localmanruins

localmanruins Senior Member

Yes.

I ride with a mother and daughter pair that are HUGE in the hunter/jumper world. The daughter shows in the Prixs pretty frequently, as well as the regular working hunters.

If you show with them, you pay the shipping fees (which, by the way, can be up to a few thousand if the show is out of state), usually everyone pays a cut of the hotel expenses, you pay for every class your trainer decides to enter, and you pay for the misc show fees, which includes braiding, grooming, exercising/hand walking, and shavings/feeding. Normally there's a fee for the actual rides the trainer does. The trainer keeps a percentage of the earned money as well.

4. SEAmom

SEAmom Senior Member

Absolutely!

1 person likes this.
  5. meljean

meljean Senior Member

Also will pay a percentage to groom and tack stalls, and work tack stalls.

3 people like this.
  6. bwahorses

bwahorses Full Member

Trainers will normally have a list of what show fees are:D. I know we travel as a group to shows & normally haul our own horse but if trainer hauls you pay;) then your other expenses are day coaching/training fee,banding/braid fees, ALL class & stabling fees,tack stall fee,any futurity/stake class winnings trainer gets %;). Never had to pay for trainers accommodation or a ride fee per class {just my day show fee}.

7. coloredcowhorse

coloredcowhorse Senior Member

Yep.....trainer has all of his expenses paid; hauling, farrier, stall fees, all entry fees, office fees, testing fees, warm up arena fees, cattle charges, per ride fees and a % (from 1/3 to 1/2) of any money earnings to the trainer are all paid by the owner. At a big futurity with multiple go-rounds such as the Snaffle Bit or the NCHA.....it can/does cost a fortune. The stalls at the SBF futurity (a 10 day event) are $100/day the last time I checked so just stalls will run you $1000.

2 people like this.
  8. GotaDunQH

GotaDunQH Senior Member

Yep.....when I show and if my trainer is going to show in the Open as well, I pay hauling, stall, entry fees, split of the tack stall, shavings (if we don't bring them), and a day fee for each day I show or my trainer shows. I do my own bathing and banding. If my trainer shows in a money class, like a maturity...we split the winnings. One year my horse Sidney was Reserve Hi-Point Year End Open Champion with Connecticut QHA, and they set a money value on that award and asked what I wanted. I had them get a $300 gift certificate to Sean Ryon Hats....so my trainer could get a new hat he had his eye on.

2 people like this.
  9. coloredcowhorse

coloredcowhorse Senior Member

If a trainer takes a horse to some of the big stock horse futurities the dollars can be significant.....the NCHA Triple Crown for instance (that's the futurity, the derby and the superstakes) pays out more than the Triple Crown of racing TB's....and there is money to be earned in the elimination go rounds to qualify for the finals. The NRCHA Snaffle Bit pays over $100,000 to the winner so there would be go round/qualifying round winnings split between owner and trainer plus splitting that finals winnings.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  10. Cowgirltn

Cowgirltn Registered

Thank you all for the information.
    What percentage did you pay your trainers for the bigger futurities? Thank you, Cowgirltn

Alsosusieq2 likes this.