1. JOIN the world's largest horse forum! Chat and learn from other experts about horse training, breeding, health, showing, riding, contests and use our free horse classifieds. Register Here

Question about fly masks

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by Sapphire21, Mar 15, 2011.

1. Sapphire21

Sapphire21 Senior Member

Yeah way too early but oh well. I ordered a fly bonnet(it was on sale for 5 bucks) with my new winter blanket(Best order ever, I must say. It's a Saskatchewan thing lol). The bugs are horrid here in the summer. I don't understand why! There's like 2 months of warm weather and the rest is snow lol. Anyway, these are what I'm talking about, just for clarification:
    [​IMG](Pictures courtesy of google :p)
    My question is, is it okay to leave these on for turnout? Particularly if it was under one of those fly masks?
    [​IMG]
    Earless ones are cheaper lol.

2. shiningjewel

shiningjewel Senior Member

so your idea is to add the ears with the bonnet?
    ..personally, I think its a good idea, but Ive never tried it before
    ......ugh thanks for reminding me about the bugs :(

3. SecretAgent

SecretAgent Senior Member

fly bonnets (the first picture) are worn under a bridle because the piece of string they attach with is too flimsy for field use. Fly masks (second picture) are for wearing in the field. if you want the ears protected while the horse is in the field, there are fly masks that also include ear protection. putting a fly bonnet under a fly mask would only result in a lost fly bonnet. hope that clears it up!

4. Painted2

Painted2 Senior Member

They are only like 7 bucks cheaper.. Both my horses have the crusaders mask with ears, they come off atleast twice a week being worn in the day time.

5. AvidEquestrian

AvidEquestrian Senior Member

Persoanlly Id just buy one with ears :/

6. Dancers Mom

Dancers Mom Senior Member+

I would just get the mask with ears. The bonnet is laying on her face all the time. I don't know if that is such a good idea but who knows. Plus don't you have the string from the bonnet and it is quite long isn't it? I use one sometimes and I have to wrap it around my throat latch a few times.

7. Beeks

Beeks Senior Member+

Couldn't she put the bonnet under the fly mask to keep it in place?

Edit: Oops nevermind. I see you said it would get lost. I have never used a fly bonnet so don't know the mechanics of them. My horse is impossible to keep a fly mask on of any kind. So he gets slathered in swat.