Quarter Crack :( Who thinks this can be rehabbed barefoot?

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by trails2rails, Jun 5, 2013.

1. trails2rails

trails2rails Senior Member

So I went to work with one of my horses for the first time in a while end of last week - she lives out in the pasture and I've been super busy and have been a super bad horse-mom. I pulled her out of the rather tall grass and noticed that her feet have grown incredible amounts. Like twice as much as they normally would in a full cycle and she was only at 3 1/2 weeks (we shoe on a 5 week schedule). No heat (thank goodness), totally sound.

I called the farrier and asked if he could get out here sooner (he's about 2 hrs away) than normal. He can't get here before Monday. Well, she popped a quarter crack yesterday :(

I had just had shoes put on her 2 rotations ago (so she's had shoes for 14 weeks). She was barefoot before that, but her angles were getting super low and I wanted to have some foot for the farrier to work with (she never grows this much), so I made the decision to put shoes on short term.

She moves big - so farrier did fit them a lot tighter than he likes to. Normally would have a lot more heel behind and set back further. Plan was to pull shoes Monday and have her be barefoot again.

So, who thinks this can be rehabbed barefoot? I will make time to trim each week if that's what's needed.

Here are pics
    Left front - the one with the quarter crack
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Right Front
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Whole body shot taken this weekend
    [​IMG]

2. VermilionStrife

VermilionStrife Senior Member

I'm certainly no expert, but I think a HUGE part of the problem is the underrun heels. Plus it looks like the flares aren't being removed all the way.

2 people like this.
  3. XxLiveToRidexX

XxLiveToRidexX Senior Member

I don't want to be the person with bad news, but I really think these feet have some serious issues, which yes may be being exacerbated because of problems, but I would be looking for a new farrier.

Heels are a mess and yes I am seeing quite a bit of flaring. Stuff like this just doesn't show up at 3 1/2 weeks, even though I understand her feet are growing fast.

2 people like this.
  4. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

I'm not an expert either, but shouldn't the back of the shoes be under her heels? Is that what you mean by underrun?

5. trails2rails

trails2rails Senior Member

Yep - she does have underrun heels. That's part of the reason we put shoes on, she was wearing down the wall and down to live sole so there were no more heels to take off. I was hoping that by putting shoes on, there would be at least some depth so that heels could be trimmed back further and flare taken off up front.

I should help my farrier out so that this doesn't turn into a bash fest for him - this is what horses he shoes normally look like
    [​IMG]

He wants to do a bar shoe on my mare. I'm thinking that this little experiment has shown that I was managing her better barefoot.

Does anyone think that it is feasible to bring this foot back barefoot?

6. JBandRio

JBandRio Senior Member

The feet are in pretty deplorable shape, sorry. There is not a darned thing you can do with this farrier to change that - time to change farriers, and asap. There's just so much wrong everywhere :(

If you can list where you are generally, someone can help you find a competent farrier

5 people like this.
  7. barrel_racer64

barrel_racer64 Senior Member

It sounds like she has been trimming herself and only had the farrier the last two cycles. I'm seeing contracted heels as well?

8. BluemoonOKy

BluemoonOKy Senior Member

Definitely agree with others that she has under run heels. Hooves are in bad shape. If you found an excellent farrier,with some time you should be able to correct these problems. Hopefully, Patti or iiibarsv will drop by this thread, or you could pm them for assistance.

9. gluey33

gluey33 Senior Member

Is she due for shoeing now? A bar shoe would help especially if he floated the heel. Going on the other picture he should be able to do a better job. My main concern at the moment is that the shoe is ending right under the top of the crack, that will be making it worse.

10. magicsdoublepla

magicsdoublepla Senior Member+

subbing to see what happens/who says what :)