QH Congress

Discussion in 'Equestrian Events, Shows, Competitions' started by EnglishRider234, Sep 21, 2018.

1. EnglishRider234

EnglishRider234 Senior Member

Anyone going? I’ll most likely be there Oct 20th/21st. Not showingthis year because I am working 35 hrs a week as well as finishing my undergraduate full time so I just haven’t had time to train like I would want to for Congress.

kodemiester and Larkspade like this.
  2. SEAmom

SEAmom Senior Member

I'll be there to shop at some point. We usually watch a little bit depending on what's going when we're there.

3. tlwidener

tlwidener Senior Member

Too far for me. Maybe someday...

I drove to the eastern edge of Iowa to pick up a horse... twice. That was plenty far :D

kodemiester and GotaDunQH like this.
  4. GotaDunQH

GotaDunQH Senior Member

We went last year....so I've had my fill of Congress. I mean, the shopping was great....bought a used BIue Ribbon saddle that looked brand new etc. But I can buy all that stuff at home and save money on the round trip flight, hotel room and food....lol. It's funny, I have no desire to show there...I'd rather show at other big shows, like the NSBA World Show next year, etc.

5. tlwidener

tlwidener Senior Member

I think the competition there would be great... I have been told that competition is better at QH Congress than Worlds. I don't know if that's true...

I would haul my own horse, so it would be a long trip-- a trip I have no desire to make at this time in my life :tiphat: POA Congress in Tulsa was enough showing for me for a good long time. 10 days in Tulsa plus the eight hour trip to get there cured me of ANY Congress dreams. :crazy2:

6. GotaDunQH

GotaDunQH Senior Member

Everyone desires to go there, but it's only a regular AQHA approved show managed by OQHA. You have to qualify for the World Show but you don't for Congress which is why so many people go there. It's a LONG show, warm up pens are packed, horses and people get sick, those barns get rancid after a week and so on. Nope, I'll earn my way to a World show and take a placing at one ANYDAY over the circus of the Congress.

ETA....don't get me wrong, it's fun to go and visit at least once! I had a blast last year, but it confirmed my opinion....I don't care if I ever show there...lol,

Cynical25 and kodemiester like this.
  7. tlwidener

tlwidener Senior Member

Do you ever think that worlds might NOT be the best of the best? That is might be more who has the time and money to chase points?

Circle C likes this.
  8. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

I don't think Congress is the best of the best competition wise. And you have a lot there that are not world quality since you don't have to qualify. And some west people don't go to Congress because of time, money and distance. Distance is a big one at least 2000 miles from California.

The points to earn to go to World is not much if you are one of the best. The only ones chasing points are the ones that want to win the AQHA year end awards. Those winners aren't alway the best. My daughter only had to show at a six judged show to qualify for World in HMS and Trail. She needed one more show to qualify in SMS. You need more points in that class than the other two. Those are the only shows she went to this year except for NSBA World.

Cynical25 and kodemiester like this.
  9. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

Competition is better there. And it's not that bad as far as showing .. not like som2 ppl just made it sound. I have friends that have been showing there every year for a loooong time and they love it.

Alsosusieq2 and tlwidener like this.
  10. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

I've not heard anything majorly bad about congress, but I'm not in the mix anymore.