Puppy breed guesses pt. 2!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by apndi, May 19, 2017.

1. apndi

apndi Senior Member

A little while ago I posted about Zeke, a Jack Russell mix that my family and I adopted in February. Unfortunately, we had to give him back to the foster home we got him from because he had some aggression issues and just wasn't a match.

We gave it a couple weeks and then began our search. We found a young dog, around 1 year old, that has an uncanny resemblance to our old dog that died in December, Lola. Yesterday, my mom and I visited her in where she was held at animal control, and she seemed so nervous so we weren't sure if she would be good fit. Then we found out that she was at a kill shelter, and we couldn't get her and her resemblance to Lola out of our minds, so we returned this morning to pick her up!

She's still a bit nervous but has definitely come out of her shell in the few hours since she's been at the house. She really likes attention, licking your face, and you can't sit down without her jumping in your lap! She also likes to play, she got the zoomies and was playfully biting at my fingers so I'm glad that she has a playful side!

She came from a hoarding situation but oddly enough is spayed and knows "sit." The shelter had her listed as Chinese Crested/chihuahua mix. I think that's a pretty accurate guess, Lola was a Chinese Crested mix and she looks a lot like her. What does everyone else think? Also, any name suggestions? We were thinking belle, Winnie, or daisy.

2. D_BaldStockings

D_BaldStockings Senior Member

I can really see the Chinese Crested in her.

I think she's home!

Arem and apndi like this.
  3. apndi

apndi Senior Member

Yeah, I think we found THE dog :) I know people think Chinese Cresteds are ugly but I think they're adorable, and they have great personalities! I will definitely be looking for CCs/CC mixes in the future!

She isn't housetrained or leash trained, so we've been watching her like a hawk and carrying her around :D there's 2 sessions left for the trainer we were using with Zeke so we're using those last 2 for that.

She is such a Velcro dog and she wants nothing more than to sit in your lap and lean against you while you pet her.

4. Arem

Arem Senior Member

Awww!!! I LOVE Chinese crested!!! Best little dogs EVER!

I definitely see Chinese Crested and agree with Chihuahua.

apndi likes this.
  5. apndi

apndi Senior Member

Also forgot to add that we decided on a name, Kiwi :love:

froglander and Arem like this.
  6. ginster

ginster Senior Member

What a cutie!!
    Thanks for giving her a home!

apndi likes this.
  7. Compadre

Compadre Senior Member

If the dog was here, I would guess some kind of designer cross Yorkie mix. But Chinese Crested dogs are unheard of here, so that would play into it.

I don't care though, I love me a little wirehaired dog. They are fantastic, extra points if they are sweet and not too high strung/yappy.

apndi likes this.
  8. apndi

apndi Senior Member

Chinese Cresteds aren't common here, but I've seen at least 5 in person and I've seen a couple on petfinder for adoption. I'm pretty sure there's a Chinese Crested rescue around here so that would explain why they're around but not super popular because of people's biases against them. She does a little Yorkie-ish to me as well.

I don't really care either. It's just curiosity! We've only had for a little over 24 hrs and she seems to have a great personality. Very sweet and she's come out of her shell a little bit more since I made this thread. We have a lot of people over today and she's handling all the strangers very well. A bit nervous about them but she approaches them (the women at least) on her own and lets them pet her. Still the biggest cuddlebug and lapdog ever! She's a little nervous about men. They can approach and pet her with no problems but she won't approach on her own.

I've taken a few more pics, I'll upload them in a bit!

9. peg4x4

peg4x4 Senior Member

Maybe a Chinese Crested "fluffy"?

10. Arem

Arem Senior Member

Powder puff! :D
    My chineses cresteds are powder puffs. They look different than the OP dog, though. (Similar enough to make me think she's part CC) Different coat.

I'd wager that Chinese cresteds are more common than they seem to be, but a lot of the powder puffs probably get labeled as various terrier mixes. An annoying vet tech wouldn't believe that the male wasn't a terrier mix. Shaved? He looked 100% Chinese Crested.

apndi likes this.