Puncture Wound by Russian Olive Thorn!

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by Launa, Aug 16, 2006.

1. Launa

Launa Senior Member+

Our farrier was out today and when it came time to do Tucker I noticed he had an area swelled up about the size of a silver dollar in his girth area. I thought he got stung by a bee. Upon a closer look we saw what appeared to be a stick poking out. We got some pliers and pulled if out. The little Big Man didn't even flinch. Any way it is a thorn off of a Russian Olive tree. We have a dead one we KEEP SAYING we are going to remove from the pasture. He and Radar must have been horsin around and he got puctured. I have a call in to the vet because of the swelling. Puncture wounds can turn nasty fast. Any way the thorn is 1.25" long. Drats! I was going to try my new saddle pad today! I really hope it doesn't have to be lanced. It is not draining. It must have happened in the last 24 hours.
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2015

2. SalemsMom

SalemsMom Senior Member+

Looks nasty,yes I also would have the vet out.Hope he is ok.and gets better soon.

3. Commanderkins

Commanderkins Senior Member+

Yikes that looks painful!

4. Launa

Launa Senior Member+

I figure we are very lucky that there was enough of it sticking out to pull on it with the pliers. I just don't want it to get infected. So hoping the vet calls soon. I pressed around it and couldn't get any drainage.

5. Cyn

Cyn Senior Member+

Will you tell him there are safer ways to get peircings nowadays....

Poor guy, what a trooper for not flinching... You have a good boy there, don't cha...

6. Quick2Skip01

Quick2Skip01 Senior Member+

Well I hope you hear from the vet soon and that all goes well! Keep us updated!

7. Launa

Launa Senior Member+

Well my vet did call back. He told me to keep an eye on it and the swelling. He told me to get an antibiodic ointment that comes in syringe and to squirt it into the hole and that the swelling should go down in a day or two. But....I looked at the thorn again and there is a little piece broke off the tip of it. I hope it isn't inside of him. It would be like a splinter in us I know but it went 1.25" deep so if it splintered off it is way in there.:( Keep your fingers crossed for us. I sure wouldn't want it to have to be lanced, especially in that area where his cinch goes.