Pulled muscle and Thermography

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by Lopinslow, Feb 28, 2019.

1. Lopinslow

Lopinslow Senior Member

April had some discomfort this fall when the farrier trimmed her rear right foot. We went to see Dr. Turner mid December and he found her usual stifles needing to be injected (darn her for growing crazy fast as a baby). Got those done, as I was planning on moving her to boarding barn to ride starting January 1st. The broken elbow delayed that. Farrier apt on Feb 2nd, she basically refused to lift and allow that leg to be pulled back to be trimmed. Saw chiro Feb 8th. Found a few spots out, and her sacrum locked. got that all adjusted and figured we would be good to go.. until I tried lifting that rear right foot. the weird part is besides being a bit crabby at the lope (not THAT unusual for her! lol) she was totally sound on the lunge line and under saddle.

Back to vet we went... of course she was a big drama queen when he tried to lift and flex that right hind.. then trotted off sound. Got out his thermography camera and took a look. basically, she has a "pulled groin muscle". Prescribed surpass, massage, and good warmup with lots of trotting poles, on the ground at first, then working up to raised a fair distance. thought the thermal images may be interesting to some.
    April back 2-27-19.png april back-croup 2-27-19.png April 2-27-19 .png April 2-27-19 2.png

2. barrel_racer64

barrel_racer64 Senior Member

Very interesting, thanks for sharing! A few years ago I had a gelding that I suspected had almost that exact same injury, he was slightly off but never really lame, so I didn't take him to the vet (they probably wouldn't have had the thermal imaging stuff anyway). I hope April heals up quickly!

3. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

Totally interesting!

Thanks for posting & I’m wishing for a speedy recovery.

4. Lopinslow

Lopinslow Senior Member

I'll just say... I LOVE Dr Turner and am very blessed to have access to him. What was funny, I googled this issue, found great article... and low and behold, he was the information source for it! Whenever I research various lameness stuff, I pretty much find his name mentioned in at least one article....lol

Of course April was very clear she was not too happy when he was probing the muscle. Lol

kodemiester and ginster like this.
  5. Lopinslow

Lopinslow Senior Member

I could feel the swelling and tightness, surprised you can actually see it.
    20190302_111938.jpg

And I didnt hwve time to ride today, but lunged over about 6 poles for 15 minutes.

kodemiester and LoveTrail like this.
  6. barrel_racer64

barrel_racer64 Senior Member

It was hard to see, but my gelding's muscling looked exactly like that when he had his injury! Crazy how well it can hide, but once you see it, it sticks out like a sore thumb.

7. Lopinslow

Lopinslow Senior Member

April is getting a Magnawave treatment tonight. she usually melts into a puddle with them, but she may feel a bit different in this area! lol.

I may her do my elbow too.

kodemiester, Dream27 and ginster like this.