Psyllium Husk for use in horses

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by Horsed, Feb 5, 2011.

1. Horsed

Horsed Senior Member

I need to give my horse something like Sand Clear because I haven't in almost two years. I was at a friends house and she told me I could give my mare psyllium husk thats made for people from Trader Joe's and it was the same but a lot cheaper. The Sand Clear is pricey and if this stuff is the same I'd rather use it. How much do I use and is it the same? The Sand Clear is in pellet form but the main ingredient is psyllium. Can I feed my horse psyllium husk?

2. Dawn

Dawn Senior Member+

If you get the smooth texture (I'm assuming we're talking metamucil or off brand metamucil here), it's 1 cup per day for an 'average' dose. You can double check whatever brand you get to be sure, it is supposed to be a 102,250 mg dose per day.

3. Horsed

Horsed Senior Member

No its not metamucil. Its literally pure psyllium husk from the store Trader Joe's. Its called Secrets of the Psyllium. It looks like little rice hulls.

4. Horsed

Horsed Senior Member

It says its pure Plantango husks. I don't know what that is.

5. Dawn

Dawn Senior Member+

It would still be safe, but you'd need to know the amount per volume. If it's truely 100% psyllium husk, then you would need 102,250 mg. If it has any additives at all, then you'd need to calculate it. Do you have a website link or anything?

6. Horsed

Horsed Senior Member

Nutrition Facts Serving Size 2 tbsp (12g) Amount Per ServingCalories from Fat 0
    Calories 35 % Daily Values*Total Fat 0g 0% Saturated Fat 0g 0%Cholesterol 0mg 0%Sodium 10mg 0%Potassium 110mg Total Carbohydrate 10g 3% Dietary Fiber 9g 36% Sugars 0g Protein 0g Vitamin A 0%[​IMG] Vitamin C 0%Calcium 2%[​IMG] Iron 7%*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.Nutrition Facts Serving Size 2 tbsp (12g) Amount Per ServingCalories from Fat 0
    Calories 35 % Daily Values*Total Fat 0g 0% Saturated Fat 0g 0%Cholesterol 0mg 0%Sodium 10mg 0%Potassium 110mg Total Carbohydrate 10g 3% Dietary Fiber 9g 36% Sugars 0g Protein 0g Vitamin A 0%[​IMG] Vitamin C 0%Calcium 2%[​IMG] Iron 7%*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.http://www.fatsecret.com/calories-nutrition/trader-joes/secrets-of-the-psyllium-(pure-plantago-husks)

http://sharedreviews.com/review/trader-joes-secrets-of-the-psyllium-supplement

Hope this helps

7. Horsed

Horsed Senior Member

Wow that didn't work out too well... I'll keep looking.

8. Dawn

Dawn Senior Member+

Okay, you would need to feed 17 tbsp which is equal to just ever so slightly over 1 cup. Which is making zero amount of sense as Metamucil is the same.

Okay, Metamucil dosage is actually just under 2 cups (sorry about that!) for 'regular' flavored smooth texture. Smooth texture flavored sugar free metamucil is just under 1 cup per day. How in the world I got off on that (and have seen the 1 cup quoted so many times by others as well) I'll never know. Moral of the story is do your own math with the individual product :eek:

While on that note, orange course milled metamucil is also just under 2 cups. And non-flavored course milled is just under 1 cup per day.

Horsed likes this.
  9. Horsed

Horsed Senior Member

So.....Would I be better off shelling out the $50 bucks for sand clear?

The stuff from Trader Joe's is like six bucks but if I have to give her a cup per day it will add up quickly. How long do I give it to her for if I get the Trader Joe's stuff?

10. Horsed

Horsed Senior Member

By the way, thank you so much for your help!