Psyllium for diarrhea in horses???

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by Blistering Winds, Apr 25, 2008.

1. Blistering Winds

Blistering Winds Senior Member+

Yes or no?

Diarrhea not from sand.....but horse gets the runs from stressful situation.

(boss horse in pasture drove the horse to the squirts....starting to clear up....possible ulcers ....)

I'm not up on psyllium except for sand in gut. Girl is just going off what feedstore told her and gave her. (gave her ruminent Pro-bios too)

2. JBandRio

JBandRio Senior Member+

I'd be more inclined to add a probiotic, or, since I have the product always on hand, some Miracle Clay (Dynamite).

It could be ulcers from the stress, no doubt. If it's just the occasional diarrhea from a stressful situation, there likely isn't much you can do about it. But if it's chronic, there is.

3. Blistering Winds

The horse has been on Pepto for the past week....they are literally throwing "everything" at the horse now.

Pro-bios AND psyllium???

I'm not sure if psyllium will help...but my concern, and I told her I'd check into it (hence my post here..) if it in itself causes the runs...????

She was told "great fiber source"

HUH???? Beet pulp is cheaper and more of a better fiber source in my opinion.....

4. JBandRio

JBandRio Senior Member+

The psyllium won't hurt, that's for sure. It *might* help, but more likely not. It IS a great fiber source, but the wrong kind, IMHO, for the issue at hand.

5. Blistering Winds

ok, so it shouldn't make it worse at least.....

that was my main concern.

6. twistedwire

twistedwire Full Member

I've heard psyllium can be helpful to bulk up the poop.

7. Blistering Winds

thanks guys. :D

8. Top Dun

Top Dun Senior Member+

Agreed with the above. Psyillium wouldn't be my first choice, but I don't see it as hurting anything at the moment. Probiotics would be better. and finding out the cause in the first place would be best.

9. Dawn

Dawn Senior Member+

Psyillium is designed to get the gut 'moving' so to speak. So, in my personal logic (which sometimes isn't all that logical), it could very well make it worse. After all, assuming the horse is on a proper/healthy diet, fiber isn't exactly lacking to begin with. The small amount that psyllium would provide isn't going to make much difference. (The only reason psyllium is a useful fiber source to begin with is because of the type of fiber it is.)

Plus the fact that I just had that psyllium acts to draw even more water into the digestive tract, seems like it would compound the situation.

If it were my horse, I'd be much more inclined to go with a good prebiotic and a calcium carbonate supplement during these times before trying this. Assuming that nothing was amiss with the basic feed program itself.

10. Blistering Winds

Horse is on Senior feed, Free choice Brome hay (top choice hay of kansas)

Was stressed to the max, which caused the diarrhea.

that is what I know of the overall horse.

They are throwing "everything" at the horse. Pro-bios, Fast Track?? Which has more pro-bios and calcium carbonate....., and she got the Psyllium for "fiber".

I've passed on the info to the owner. Sweet girl. I've also passed the info to the barn owner, who's trying to help. (very knowledgeable BO, love her to death already!!!)