PSSM1 and 2

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by Arem, May 23, 2018.

1. tlwidener

tlwidener Senior Member

I think corn or high NSC absolutely could make a difference for those horses in stalls or with limited turnout.

IME my horses are much MUCH healthier metabolically, mentally, and physically when they're out on pasture...even if that means they need to wear grazing muzzles. My problem child, Jesse, my roan QH, is almost a different horse after being turned out in a quarter section pasture since January. The pasture has hills, a live creek, and shade trees. It has decent grass. I still feed him his low NSC feed Nutrena Topline Balance and Renew Gold. I still provide free choice salt and supplement him with vitamin e and magnesium. He looks amazing... considering I thought maybe I'd be putting him down. Not sure if he's actually sound enough to do much.... but wow. I still would like to test him, but funds are limited for that when he's showing improvement anyway.

Keeping horses more as nature intended them to be kept can do some really really good stuff.

Arem, I think I'd go ahead and do the 5 panel and the color test from whomever APHA will accept results from. If she's negative for PSSM, and you still have unexplained issues, I'd look at either testing her for the PSSM variants or tweaking her diet as if she is a variant. That may be as simple as adding more amino acids, vitamin e, fats... worth a shot anyway. Join the PSSM group on FB. They're a pretty good resource. I think some people are lumping all "weird" stuff into PSSM problems, and that is not good, but there are legitimate pathologies out there that need to be addressed. I think it is possible we'll see many more diseases we'll need to treat and test for; we've been breeding too closely for a long time now. I'm a big fan of line breeding, but I also think we don't know what we don't know about concentrating these lines. There's not really that much genetic variability in our stock horses.

2. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Excellent advice and very true on the breeding situation.

3. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

I went to an AQHA show a few weeks ago and almost every grain bag was Safe Choice Original which was Foxy's downfall for IR last year. The other one was Purina Strategy, another corn grain. Every grain offered at my barn has corn in it, even the oats. And now that I am paying more attention to horse's condition some of them definitely have metabolic issues worse than Foxy and also makes sense why they have issues at times. Just like Foxy used to.

This horse is the best/worst example of a horse I have ever seen show AQHA for metabolic issues.

L1 Amateur & NSBA - Richard Gill (gillallenphoto)

And for a comparison of Foxy who is severe IR, test was taken just before the show.

L1 Amateur & NSBA - Richard Gill (gillallenphoto)

A friend of mine recently changed her horse to Triple Crown Senior and she was doing great. Then for some reason she found her going backwards again. Come to find out the barn changed her feed back to the corn grain they offer, Bomgaars Senior feed. She 's leaving June 1 and the barn manager felt it was okay to put her back on the old grain because he didn't want to buy her another bag without giving her the option to buy her own. He didn't tell my friend until she had been on it for the last few days. She had hives on her chest that were going away with the feed change and then came back with a vengeance since they put her back on their grain. She was so ****ed. She also went backwards on her free flowing movement, went back to lots of knee and fast legs. She sent me a new video and I compared it to her video from a couple of weeks ago.

Sounds like a good plan for Brandi. I started Foxy on a PSSM diet and then once I found out he was IR I tweaked it adding the ground flax and chaste berry and doubling his magnesium. Now he actually moves better than he even did at five with me. He's now 16. For him MSM only made him not creak at times. With all the other supplements for his IR I felt I could drop that one.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  4. Serenity06

Serenity06 Senior Member

Thought I’d update on the Ace deal. He rode MUCH better yesterday!!! Still not perfect but I’m not in a rush. Any progress is awesome and he made major progress. I’ll get even more serious with him after his teeth are done and he’s scoped. I’m just happy he’s riding way better!!!

I use Mellow Muscle by Sierra Gold with him. It has all the amino acids, Vit E, magnesium, and all sorts of other good things in a flax base.

ginster, Arem and LoveTrail like this.
  5. Arem

Arem Senior Member

Brandi’s actually doing much better, too!

Don’t know if it’s getting her MSM again OR it could be the flax she’s getting with it. I have BM giving her a loading dose of her SmartPak for a week so she’s getting quite a bit of fat. Hmmm.

Or the sky could be the just the right shade of blue. Who knows with her. :rolleyes:

In any case, it will be interesting to see how she responds to the vitamin e, magnesium, and flax smartpak I have on the way.

Of course she either blew another abscess in one of her hinds, causing a giant crack, or the wall integrity was just bad from the one she blew in the winter. So now she’s sore on that. If it’s not one thing....

LoveTrail likes this.
  6. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

Going through hopefully the last abscess with Foxy. First time I didn't need my vet to take off of his shoe because it happened the day he was due. But, keeps on coming back. Realized this was the first time he wasn't put on antibiotics and given what happened to a friend whose horse got so infected it caused bone chips, I called the vet and got some yesterday. Also hoping it will be his last one now that he is no longer in pads.

7. Arem

Arem Senior Member

Abscesses are a new thing with Brandi. I *think* it’s just because hoof balance in her hind feet has continued to be a challenge. But I have no idea what other aggravating factors could be. I’m hoping it doesn’t become a pattern!

I don’t like dealing with new problems. The old ones are enough! :willynilly:

8. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

I understand. Foxy didn't have abscess issues until I had a farrier that did too good of a job and his pads stayed on. Previous farrier he would lose at least one shoe a month typically the one that has had more problems with abscesses.

Arem likes this.
  9. Serenity06

Serenity06 Senior Member

Ace was scoped for ulcers yesterday. He has mild to moderate ulcers and quite a few of them. I KNEW his antics weren’t just attitude. I had quite a few people trying to convince me other wise. So far between the chiropractor and the ulcer treatment we should be good to go!

10. Squirt!!

Squirt!! Full Member

@Arem

Any update with PSSM testing?