PSSM1 and 2

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by Arem, May 23, 2018.

1. DelP

DelP Senior Member

I've used Adequan on my STB and I've been very pleased with the results. It is IM so I can do it myself. My farrier saw a marked improvement after the second shot. We kept it up until his hocks had fully fused, and he was comfortable without treatment.

Arem likes this.
  2. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

Given how much better Foxy is now on his cornless IR diet movement wise, I think most of his injections could have been avoided if he had been on a cornless grain all those years.

3. Arem

Arem Senior Member

She’s on either the Tribute Calm N Ez or the Essential K. Both of which are corn free. She’s been corn free for quite some time.

4. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

That's good. I had a couple different friends think their horses were on corn free grain not realizing "grain by products" most likely meant corn. Both of them we switched to Triple Crown Senior with great success, one we actually got sound and the other now is finally losing her light winter coat she has had for at least two years.

5. Arem

Arem Senior Member

Would that fixing Brandi’s issues would be so simple. But it’s not. Her Tribute is corn free and she’s been on corn free Triple Crown feeds, too. She’s been on low NSC feeds for years.

I know you worship the corn free thing, but it’s not a cure all. Not for every horse, anyway.

Sam C. likes this.
  6. Serenity06

Serenity06 Senior Member

Just keep in mind, Etalon is known for giving out false results. Not just occasionally but it’s a pretty big issue. Honestly I’d use the coupon and just put the results in with her registration papers so they don’t get lost. If you ever need them they are there. Then eventually if you wanted you could always test what she’s positive for through UC Davis so the registry recognizes it.

7. Arem

Arem Senior Member

I’ll just go through UC Davis then. The point of doing everything now is so I don’t have to retest anything later. If I was going to retest later, I’d just test PSSM through probably UC Davis (I think they’re the only ones who offer it separate) now and save all the colour stuff for when I’m making more money.

Thanks for letting me known about Etalon, though. (y) Definitely don’t want false results.

Serenity06 likes this.
  8. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

I just know so far every horse I have convinced the owner to take off of corn feed, about ten so far this year, saw an obvious improvement. Completely improved, no. You still have to fix the other issues that corn helped cause or like my friend's horse might have PSSM, but now at least he is sound and easier to lead. Need him to be safe on the ground for his sixty something owner that has major health issues.

I agree go with UC Davis. Next step for AQHA and APHA is to require the 5 panel test for breeding mares, not just the stallions. Then you don't have to retest if you end up breeding her again. And you will know your foal is clean when you breed your clean five panel mare to a clean five panel stallion.

Good luck!

9. Faster Horses

Faster Horses Senior Member

I know this is totally off topic....

But I cannot believe that many people are still feeding corn based feed! I watch NSC like a hawk though, with one ulcer prone gelding and one fatty pony gelding.

ginster, tlwidener and Arem like this.
  10. Arem

Arem Senior Member

Yeah, except for small amounts of time where I couldn’t find the feed I wanted for her and she had to go back on whatever was at the barn, Brandi has been on low NSC/corn free feed for yeaaaaaars.

Really, the cost doesn’t end up being *that much* different. Not enough to be worthwhile.

And maybe her overall improved health did help her soundness, too, for a while. So did having her on MSM as her only supplement. I was seriously impressed with the difference in her movement when I put her on MSM 2 or 3 years ago.

But that was 2 or 3 years ago. And you can’t get more corn free than... corn free.... so we need more than that now.

The smartpaks I have coming for her now are flax (for the fat), magnesium, and and vit E. More of a PSSM type of supplement. Whether she is or isn’t, it will be interesting to see if there is any change. “Won’t hurt. Might help.”

ginster and tlwidener like this.