Proud flesh? - graphic photos

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by hayburnerheights, Apr 20, 2017.

1. slc

slc Senior Member

It's a very difficult wound. I wish you all the best with it.

2. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

I used Schreiners for my mare's proud flesh. Very easy to use, just spray on. Her swelling didn't come down enough to stitch so she grew her own new skin. She had to be wrapped, there was a puncture wound into her hock and later we found out she chipped it.

3. hayburnerheights

hayburnerheights Senior Member

vet is coming out today , moved it up. Tried to let it air out some (she is was in a nice clean outdoor grass pen) and it started bleeding again. Guess we will see what he says in a few hours

4. hamerface

hamerface Senior Member

I might be the outlier here, but that wound looks like id expect it to after three weeks, depending on what it was like to start with.

It's healing and filling in. This area of the leg takes so much time because of the movement. We had an injury like this at home two years ago from wire. It took all summer with daily cleaning wrapping or whatever. It just takes time and persistence.

5. slc

slc Senior Member

That's quite possible, photos can be misleading. It really requires hands on. It's a great idea to have your vet look at it

hamerface likes this.
  6. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

I do agree with this. I think it's good you called the vet but I also agree that wounds like this take a terrific amount of time. My mare got a nasty wire cut on her pastern that took a good 2 months to heal, developed proud flesh even with my best efforts and was a big job. I did use sugardine successfully on it - it not only helps with proud flesh but staves off infection. I would run it by your vet since s/he's coming out.

Good luck with it. That's such a hard area to heal.

hamerface likes this.
  7. hayburnerheights

hayburnerheights Senior Member

vet just left. He took out what was left of the stitches. Said we had some minor proud flesh started but figures it will go away. Gave us some topical cream for the proud flesh, said keep bandaged up for another 10 days or so, wants her on SMZ's again as he saw some minor signs of surface infection.

Overall he was quite pleased at how it was doing.

8. Nu5ha

Nu5ha Senior Member

This is what my guy arrived with when I got him. Actually this picture is about 3 weeks after I got him. Vet had me put copper solphate mixed with something else don't remember she did it for me on it and leave it open cleaning and changing every day. After about 2 months she got me to put Manuka honey on the wounds. He has on his right leg on the outside also, and 2 more holes like this on his face. We never knew what it was from. But what the vet told me to do worked wonders, he has zero scaring on his face, and small scars on his legs from this.
    (Picture doesn't look so nasty, but it was really horrid horrid holes and a lot of proud flesh that was taken back with the copper solphate )

IMG_0934.JPG

ginster and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  9. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Glad you had him out, here's to being smart esp since I didn't see signs of infection. ;)

10. Nu5ha

Nu5ha Senior Member

Infection is a very serious thing with anything open like this. I really recommend to get the horse to the vet asap. Friends horse hot a puncture wound on his leg, didn't look too nasty. Got quite an infection took her quite some rehab and finds to sort it out horse. Horse just coming back into work after nearly 6 months

Alsosusieq2 likes this.