Proud flesh? - graphic photos

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by hayburnerheights, Apr 20, 2017.

1. lucky_pine

lucky_pine Senior Member

You can't stitch a wound that's been open for this long. This is poor advice from lack of knowledge.

hamerface, zomer, rhinebeck and 3 others like this.
  2. hayburnerheights

hayburnerheights Senior Member

UMMM did you read? The vet was out and sewed it up the same day it happened. The pictures even show the left over stitches. The stitches fell out within a couple of days. Please read before you ASSUME

hamerface likes this.
  3. slc

slc Senior Member

The wound may actually need to be 'revised' in various ways, and then restitched. And that would be bad. But it might have to be done if in its current state it won't heal safely or is getting overrun with proudflesh. It also might need casting, skin grafts......too many possibilities. I would want a veterinarian to make that call.

4. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

She, and I, read just fine. You used the present tense. You told her you would, you did NOT say you would HAVE. Don't be rude. We all can out rude you or anyone else, but we only do so when provoked.

5. slc

slc Senior Member

I think what people are saying is that the stitching might have needed to be redone or replaced, at the point in time when the stitches fell out, whenever that was.

When stitches fall out like that, it MAY mean they can be left that way, or it MAY mean a number of different things - tissue the stitches went into died, there's an infection causing inflammation and failure of stitches, the stitches were placed incorrectly or were of the wrong type, stitches were inappropriate and skin grafts were needed, or a number of other possibilities.

I did see a wound like that once - a barb wire wound.

When you ask questions about a wound like this online, you are always going to get told you should drown it in iodine products, smear it with sugar and iodine, not wrap it, or leave the wraps on for days without changing it, let it 'dry' (even when it's on a high motion area like this....), all sorts of things.

The bottom line is that this is not the place to get advice from unless you like tearing your hair out. Your vet - if he or she is even a halfway decent vet - will have plenty of experience with leg wounds, will have seen it up close and personal(photographs just do not show everything one needs to know), and will have the training and the recent updates to wound care necessary to advise you correctly.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  6. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Don't be daft, slc. There is nothing there to stitch together.

lucky_pine likes this.
  7. hayburnerheights

says right in the first post " Vets stitches fell out". Makes it pretty clear, other consecutive posts also say about the vets involvement . I do find it quite rude when folks use CAPITALS AND BOLD when they don't bother to read.

hamerface likes this.
  8. Compadre

Compadre Senior Member

Usually when I'm treating a wound in a dirt-prone area like that I treat it with whatever products I'm going to, and then cover it with vaseline. It makes a nice barrier for dirt, moisturises the new skin, and helps hold whatever good stuff you put on there.

Also I think sugardine Vs honey are both pretty interesting. On one hand, there's an antiseptic mixed with a sugar, and on the other hand, there's a sugary liquid with antiseptic properties. Probably personal preference as to which is better.

bellalou and hayburnerheights like this.
  9. slc

slc Senior Member

Don't have a cow, please. Just because you started the thread, doesn't mean that people are suddenly going to read everything perfectly...or not criticize what you did. Like i said, if you have a horse with a wound like this, and you want to drive yourself nuts, post pics and ask for advice. You know what I do? I have the best vet in the universe, and I ask her instead.

10. hayburnerheights

its not having a cow, its nothing more than stating a point - when someone yells you , that person should expect it will not be taken lightly. I know how these forums work, been around a long time. One person starts down a path of mis-information and next thing you know the bullys start jumping on the bandwagon.

I am talking with the vet and hope he will be out within a few days. The first post asked if it was proud flesh, a very simple question as I have been lucky enough of over 40 yrs of horses to not have had to deal with it

zomer and Alsosusieq2 like this.