Proud flesh? - graphic photos

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by hayburnerheights, Apr 20, 2017.

1. hayburnerheights

hayburnerheights Senior Member

thoughts?

of course vets stitches didn't stay in :( 17974051_1532604420086031_2077603064_n.jpg 18083488_1532603300086143_1571553666_o (1).jpg

Horse has been on stall rest since it happened almost 3 wks ago, bandages changed every other day, vetericyn & bagbalm salve.

2. slc

slc Senior Member

I'd have a vet look at that. That is not very encouraging looking. It's very important that injuries like that be protected from irritation, friction, and movement may have to be restricted while it heals. Any bandaging and topical products need to be very very carefully assessed and it made sure they don't do more harm than good.

3. hayburnerheights

We are planning on having him back out, he wanted the stitches to stay in for 3 wks, they lasted about 4 days and she never left her stall for more than a couple minutes so we could clean it :(

4. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

Sugardine. Mix regular white sugar with enough betadine to make a paste. Slather it on the wound and wrap. Leave the wrap on for about 2-3 days then change it. Keep doing it until the proud flesh is gone. Cheap, easy and very, very effective.

5. hayburnerheights

Hmm, never heard of it, will check it out! thanks

6. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

I was looking for some before and after pics - my mare had some nasty proud flesh on her pastern. Big. Sugardine took care of it. Old horseman's thing - a lot of vets will recommend it too.

7. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Yep. Dang bellalou, you had an old trick up your sleeve.;)

bellalou likes this.
  8. BluemoonOKy

BluemoonOKy Senior Member

A) I would not have horse on stall rest for that, nor would I wrap it. It needs to breathe. I would be careful about mud and wet, but would at least have horse in a dry lot or some turnout. Why was it stitched ? What was the original wound and how was it managed ?
    B) I would would clean with diluted iodine and would apply woundade after Woundade (I wou,d get woundade green which is stronger) on amazon
    Amazon.com : Woundade Green Label : Office Products
    It does work. My mare ripped her neck open (I could touch her jugular vein) and had to have a drain and it healed fantastically. Not even an indentation, only one white hair now.
    You can also try good non pasteurized honey on it. I have seen that work well.
    Good luck. Hope it gets better soon. I know it's a pita to deal with that fetlock/ pastern area.

9. hayburnerheights

it was a NASTY electric fence wire cut (she went through a fence). Vet thought it needed to be stitched, wrapped and stall rest - we are just following his orders. I just don't like how its healing, thats why I posted

This is probably one of the nastiest cut I have had in 35+ years

10. BluemoonOKy

BluemoonOKy Senior Member

Ugh, exactly why I hate wire fencing. But, a horse can hurt them self on anything.
    Do you have any pictures of the initial cut ? I would like to compare them to see how much she has healed so far.
    Is horse lame ? Any tendon involvement ? Any antibiotics ? What are you wrapping it with ? Nix the bagbalm. Petroleum crap. Not good for tissue. Needs sugars and salts.
    Also might look into tuff rock poultice. I know people on here have used it with success on serious injuries. There is an American dealer for it listed on here somewhere...
    Eta Frenchi's shoulder cut
    Eta
    @hayburnerheights I pmd you the contact info for tuffrock usa that I had.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
    endurgirl likes this.