Protecting a long, thick tail

Discussion in 'Horse Grooming' started by StraightandTrue, Aug 27, 2018.

1. emali06

emali06 Senior Member

Its always worth a shot if you want to put forth that effort but I'm personally not a bagger. I keep it to a minimum, focus on nutrition and my horses tail looks great. I see a lot of bagged tails that are unnaturally long but thin as heck due to breakage.

Definitely let us know how it works out!

StraightandTrue and harli36 like this.
  2. StraightandTrue

StraightandTrue Senior Member

Thank you everyone for your help. I’m going to experiment with a few different products and maybe try a different style of tailbag and see what works best.

3. Mayelix

Mayelix Senior Member

Healthy haircare moisturizer plus leave it alone. In my experience, fussing over it and daily brushing only causes more to come out. The best tails I’ve had are ones I’ve rarely touched.

StraightandTrue and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  4. harli36

harli36 Senior Member

I know this is going to be the unpopular opinion but I never understood the don't brush their tail to protect it thing. Everytime I see a tail that hasn't been brushed and it is knotted up the knots always seem to have a ton of broken and crimped hairs inside the knot. If you want the hair shaft to stay nice and undamaged it shouldn't be crimped in a knot for what could be months at a time. I have been regularly brushing the tails of my horses for years and haven't had breakage. When I brush the hair I use a paddle brush so if I do hit a knot the brush can give a little, which gives me time to stop moving the brush to get the knot out. I also give a spritz or two of healthy hair care. Using that method I can brush the tail out without loosing one hair. I get much less wasteage doing this than letting the hair go, plus it looks tons nicer and only adds about a minute to the grooming process. My mares tail is thick from the top down and is kept trimmed at ground level. If I want to protect it from mud in the winter I will use figure 8 knots to keep it up. I used to use these knots year round but they do tend to dreadlock very fast during summer fly swishing so I no longer do them in the summer.

StraightandTrue likes this.
  5. Arem

Arem Senior Member

My horse gets far more breakage if I leave her tail down and don’t touch it than she gets if I keep her tail up in the vet wrap. Swishing flies tears her tail up. But if I keep it up and give her bailing twine to swat with? Her tail survives.

6. emali06

emali06 Senior Member

I brush Waylons occasionally and only when its freshly conditioned and with a TON of detangler. Very minimal fall out.

7. Larkspade

Larkspade Senior Member

idk if you're still thinking about using a tail bag or not, but my mares tail goes up 3/4ths of the year. until the summer where she swishes her tail around so much that it is a weapon, but here is what I do
    I live in Michigan, and we don't have hot water so in the winter, it comes down about every month, and gets sprayed with Healthy hair care. and goes back up.
    when it gets warm enough to bathe, it comes down every 2-4 weeks, washed with baby shampoo, and conditioned, then sprayed with HHC and put back up. then I put a cheap nylon tail bag over it that has an elastic strap on it so if it does snag, the bag will come off. the bag is cut at the end, so there are tassels for swatting fly's, but her tail is up in vet wrap so its still protected.

I absolutely try not to use any silicones in general on any of my horses coats. and I only know of two hair conditioners with spf
    Absorbine's Santa fe with spf (has silicone) and
    Healthy hair cares sunflower oil spf (not sure on if there is silicon in it or not)

Hope this helps

8. StraightandTrue

StraightandTrue Senior Member

That's very helpful, thank you. I was really hoping to avoid putting my mare's tail up, but it does seem to be a common theme here. I may just have to bite the bullet and deal with how it looks.

Larkspade likes this.