Protecting a long, thick tail

Discussion in 'Horse Grooming' started by StraightandTrue, Aug 27, 2018.

1. StraightandTrue

StraightandTrue Senior Member

Glorious tail! I would happily leave her tail out except for the sun bleaching it and drying out the ends. It was heart breaking chopping off around 10-15cm! We’ve had a fairly dry winter here so her tail has grown back long and lush, and I bang it at her fetlocks, but I’m worried as the days get hotter and the sun more fierce the ends will start to bleach / dry out again.

2. CabterCrazy

CabterCrazy Senior Member

Best thing to do is condition the heck out of it and not brush it often. Finger comb as much as you can, and find a detangler that isnt going to dry it out
    Argan oil based conditioners work amazing for that, and I like the Cowboy Magic detangler over showsheen. My appy doesnt get her tail touched more than once a month and her tail is thick and wonderful. My gelding I over brushed and another horse ate it so his is slightly pittyful. Buf leaving it works wonders, so does trimming up the dead dead bits

3. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

I don't plait/braid. I do the chain link method explained in my post above. Here I found a photo on my PC from years ago:
    IMG_8845.JPG

If you're doing to do exact as Arem's photos shows, then you'll want to fold the braid up & vet wrap over it all. There have been many threads on it over the years here, so I'm sure you can search & see the tutorials on how to do it.

If you decide to go with a tail bag, just know that anything you tie INTO a braid is not going to "pull out" if snagged on something, unless you're not tying it or braiding it into the tail.,.....and it won't stay unless you do these things. lol The part of the tail that swoosh the most flies is the hair below the tail bone. The stuff up by the tail bone does little b/c it's so short & can only reach the horses hind quarters.

As for products.....I wonder if the temp/sun strength where you live would render products I use less effective for you?? If you're going to put the tail completely up like Arem's photo, then you won't need anything really. Just wash & condition with whatever you have before putting it back up. If you're doing to leave it down, I would stay away from silicone based products being used often, as they coat the hair shaft & cause it to dry out & break. If you're not using it with any form on regularity then they are fine though. I currently use Vetroline Detangler when I finger pick a tail, but I don't do it often (before I show a horse or maybe once every 2 months through the warmer months). Healthy Hair Care Moisturizer was something I used a lot of back in the day when I had a lot of tail to care for, as it was silicone based. Cowboy Magic is so heavily silicone based - I won't touch the stuff!

4. StraightandTrue

Oh! That photo is not what I was imagining at all. And by chain link do you mean like how you loop up the end of a lead rope? You might need to do a tutorial haha. The only issue I can see with this set up if the ends are still going to get bleached. Also I don’t know if I could handle riding around with vet wrap in my horse’s tail, silly I know but I like to look nice? I’ve used Cowboy Magic before and wasn’t impressed with their detangler, far too heavy, but I love their shampoo, conditioner and green spot remover. I use PHP Top Tails Detangler every few days to keep her tail dust and tangle free. It seems to make the hair slippery so sticks and grass just slides out without breaking or damaging the hair. I also use Argan oil and coconut oil products after washing to give it a hydration boost.

5. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

If you won’t ride with vet wrap in her tail, then your going to be out of luck with everything. Even tail bags don’t look pretty & repeated redoing of them will cause you more hair breakage.

If the product makes the tail slippery then it’s liket silicone based. That might be your issue with the tail being so dry.

StraightandTrue likes this.
  6. emali06

emali06 Senior Member

You can always dye the tail when its sunbleached. Use ethnic hair dye.

ginster likes this.
  7. StraightandTrue

Hmm, I will have to check the ingredients. It doesn't feel anywhere near as heavy as other silicone based products, but you may very well be onto something there.

With the tie-in tail bags don't you take them out for riding then redo the plait afterwards? Or is that me showing my ignorance? All my previous horses had thin, wispy tails which I barely had to trim so this is all new territory for me! Maybe I'll have to jump on my sewing machine and make a tailbag that attaches to the rug but in a soft, swishy fabric instead of the stiff cotton drill that doesn't move? It's completely ridiculous but I just can't imagine riding with vet wrap in the tail. I probably need to stop being such a princess and get past how it looks, but I want to try and find a solution that leaves the tail free while I'm riding.

8. StraightandTrue

Her natural colour is so beautiful it would be a shame to dye it. She's a gorgeous liver chestnut shade and her mane and tail have all these lovely tones and highlights through it. Thanks for the suggestion though!

9. emali06

emali06 Senior Member

Then what is the issue? Just trim the ends every now and then and let the sun give it a natural glow. I thought we were discussing a black tail.

ginster, NBChoice and Rhythm 'n Blues like this.
  10. Arem

Arem Senior Member

Yes, you leave tail bags and any sort of tail wrap in, otherwise the constant handling of the tail defeats the purpose. Not to mention being a total pain in the rear to do it up and take it down constantly.

I’ve kept my horse’s tail up in the vet wrap pretty much constantly for years. I don’t think it looks bad.
    071A4B1F-A68E-4BD1-9915-9D856D759BC8.png
    731B408C-A361-4A03-9ED6-30C80B389419.png
    5C019398-7B7E-4477-B5F0-D6B5ADB106DE.png

The result of keeping her tail up:
    (Before I trimmed it in the early spring after letting it grow without trimming for almost a year. And that’s without taking it down to condition as often as I should)
    3999CE5E-0F7D-4427-80D7-8E234E53C83C.png

NBChoice and Rhythm 'n Blues like this.