Prospective purchase with stifle issue...

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by RedBranchRun, Feb 5, 2019.

1. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Estrogen doesn't change the shape of the pelvis.

Look at all the trans guys getting estrogen. Same. Narrow. Hips.

What helped was growth, maturity and exercise, not the estrogen.

2. slc

slc Senior Member

A PPE that would diagnose a stifle issue requires MONEY. I already pay enough money and time to go see the lame horse, I'm not spending anything on a PPE on the horse.

I can't afford to pay for a series of PPEs for horses with known histories in which an unknown but possibly significant number I will then pass on. It's like betting on horses that have lost every race for a year and have lousy workout times. It's a waste of money.

If I got PPEs for every horse that has a 'minor issue' that suspiciously looks like a major issue to me, I'd be a whole lot more broke and have had far fewer horses to ride.

I walk along next to the horse while it is walking with my hand on the left, then the right stifle. If either stifle feels like a bag of hammers or a train going down railroad tracks, I'm passing on the horse, PPE be hanged, the seller swearing that the horse is sound and everything else be hanged, too.

Further my vet does not appreciate doing a vet exam on an obviously no-go horse. It's a waste of her time. And an even bigger waste of my money. And yeah, for my purposes a horse with a 'little stifle issue' is likely a no-go horse. Even if I was just buying a pleasure riding horse or trail horse it's probably a no-go horse.

RedBranchRun likes this.
  3. palogal

palogal Senior Member

No offense intended Manes, but I think I'll take the word of the dude with several hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of veterinary education and a whole bunch of accolades.

slc likes this.
  4. ginster

ginster Senior Member

If given early enough it does influence the look of the body. I am talking pre-puberty in humans.
    Trans-women who received testosterone blockers and estrogen will develop like cis women.

5. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

6. sherian

sherian Senior Member

the estrone shots do work, but it has nothing to do with the pelvis, more to do with PMS haha.
    there is a fat pad beneath the ligaments involved in locking the stifle. When a horse is given Estrone, the fat pads retain water and bloat up, this pushes the ligaments up a bit, so that they slide in and out of the locking position easier. This minimises the discomfort, so the horse can work properly to build up muscle support for the joint so it functions more normally eventually

7. palogal

palogal Senior Member

manesntails likes this.
  8. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

Ah, that makes sense on the estrogen for a stifle. A friend's horse had that issue and was given estrogen for awhile and it went away for quite a few years. It's back now and I noticed she had weird stifles in that they are flabby. Another friend's horse with stifle issues, also flabby.

Now I need to check one that doesn't have stifle issues to compare. Unfortunately quite a few in my barn do have stifle issues. The main vet there says it is normal to have a horse hitch. Not it is not. He obviously isn't a lameness vet, he should stick to repro and vaccinations.

manesntails likes this.
  9. palogal

palogal Senior Member

The vet we worked with said its a common conformation issue in stock horses. Not a "lameness" per say, no pain or discomfort associated with it, just a funky step, which I guess could be lameness, but I generally associate lameness with pain and injuries. Stifle injuries are a whole other situation, that absolutely may cause lameness and other issues. My client's pony can ride all day and into the night, not an unsound thing about him. Every 6 months or so he'll take a funky step or two and then all is right with he world again. At the beginning it was several times a week the stifle would pop out completely. I would not consider his funky step every now and then lameness.

10. slc

slc Senior Member

The tip and shape of the pelvic bones will not change. Fat deposits and muscular development will change.

Estrogen does however help to prevent demineralization of bones in the older woman. But it won't change the basic form of the bones.

manesntails likes this.